We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Basel

indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Basel

We will be arriving in Basel on a Sunday morning before we leave on a cruise on Monday morning. I've done a little research but wonder if anyone could tell me what we shouldn't miss for the 1 day and night we have there. Is there somewhere outside the city that is a must see. Tour operators that do that sort of thing. I did notice that the city walking tour is not done on Sundays when we are there. Are things even open on Sunday? Any advise you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Basel

Thjere are no guided walking tours. But with a bit of reading beforehand you can see the most important old things on your own:

Start on the northern bank of the Rhine. on Middle Bridge,( Mittlere Brücke) the center of the city. Walk upstream and take photos of the river and the mediaval skyline with the cathedral behind it.

Take the ferry boat hanging at a rope, and then cllimb upstairs to the cathedral, 11th century, high upon the Rhine, to the Pfalz and take a photo of 3 countries in one picture, explore Cathedral place (Münsterplatz), then walk through Augustinergasse, Martinsgasse until you can take the stairs down to Marktplatz. See the town hall,, 15 th century, leave the place on the opposite side and enter Sattelgasse and then Schneidergasse. Try to find the very narrow Imbergässlein (Ginger lane), next to Restaurant Hasenburg, and walk uphill to Nadelberg, turn left towards to Spalenberg, then some meters down and the right through Gemsberg a U-turn to the right up to a place called Lyss. There you will see in 200 m distance the famous Spalentor.

This short glimpse will take 2 hours slow walk but will cover the most important old parts. It is well worth the effort.You won't see such an intact old city center until you reach Amsterdam.

The shops will be closed, but some restaurants will be open.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 14:19
Mentioned in this post
Pfalz
Pfalz
8 Reviews
Basel, Switzerland
Marktplatz
Marktplatz
84 Reviews
Basel, Switzerland
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Basel

thank you so much. I owe you a glass of wine

indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Basel

on second thought would you like to be our tour guide?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,262 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Basel

Maetzli has given you a great outline! Now I have a question for you -- do you like art? If so Basel has a collection of some 50 museums, and some of the most important art museums in this country if not in Europe.

For example, the Fondation Beyeler which is in Riehen, on the other side of the Rhine, just before the German border. They have wonderful exhibitions and the building itself is beautiful. They have a significant permanent collection as well. The Kunstmuseum in central Basel is large and also has an excellent permanent collection and other changeing exhibitions. Then there is the Tinguely museum - he was a swiss artist. For a complete list take a look at the Basel tourist office website - www.basel.com

If you would like to try some local dishes there are two very very nice restaurants that I know - the Goldener Sternen on Skt Alban Rheinweg (next to the river) and the Schlusselzunft, an old guild house, on the Freiestrasse in the centre of town.

Basel is a totally amazing place and if Maetzli will be your guide you have it made!!

Mentioned in this post
Riehen
Riehen
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Schlusselzunft
Schlusselzunft
484 Reviews
Basel, Switzerland
indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in Basel

thank you Hambagahle. I will look into the museums

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in Basel

Hi queenie75

Depends on the date you will arrive. I travel a lot myself. But if I am here, It would be a pleasure to show some good places. A beer would be ok... :-)

send a pm, please.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in Basel

If you all still have time and courage, the St. Alban Quartier with the newly removated paper museum is also a beautiful place to stroll around.

Tak

indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in Basel

It's 715pm here so I think its late there. Have a hard time with the time thing. Very challenged. We arrive on April 22 at 7am. by the time we get to ship and drop off luggage we could me around noon or so. I apologize for not responding sooner but didn't get alert that you had answered. I'll even buy you a few beers. Thanks. Hope we can make this work.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 00:19
Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in Basel

We in Middle Europe are 6 hours "before" you. So, if you are having lunch at noon, we'll have dinner at 6 pm.

I sent you a pm.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in Basel

We will be in Basel in September - thank you for the detailed walking tour. It sounds fantastic. One thing you might be able to assist with. What is the best way to travel from the city to the place where the Viking river cruises depart?

We are currently looking at hotels - what area is the best to see the sights of Basel. We fly in on a Sat afternoon and leave on a Sun afternoon.

Thank you

Jan Herivel

Sydney Australia

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia