We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border formalities at Basel railway stations

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Border formalities at Basel railway stations

Are immigration and customs checkpoints still in operation between Basel SBB and Basel SCNF and also at Basel Badischer Bahnhof even though all three of CH/F/D are signatories of the Schengen Agreement?

If so, how long do the formalities usually take?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

My understanding is that if you have already entered Schengen there is no border formalities. I guess if you are entering by train you have already entered the Schengen area.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

There are spot checks, but only once in a bluemoon.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

yep. The checkpoints are there, but mostly no customs...

Just walk through

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

I travelled from Paris to Interlaken last year and changed trains at Basel SBB and just walked through from one platform to the other, there was nothing, no check, no one there.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

I think all the TGVs from France and the trains from Germany arrive directly in the "Swiss" part of Basel SBB, so any formalities are done on the train. Only the local French trains from Alsace still arrive at the SNCF platforms.

There are occasional spot checks on the train - in my experience most often when going from Switzerland into France or Germany, not the other way.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 17:23
Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

Customs as in importing or exproting goods are not covered by Schengen, only people.

If you think you have and must declare something, then do it.

7. Re: Border formalities at Basel railway stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:17