We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel or Strasbourg?

E
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Basel or Strasbourg?

Hi,

We are flying to Basel on May 16Th and will stay for 3 nights. Should we pick a hotel in Basel and then travel to Strasbourg, Zürich etc. or stay in Strasbourg rather?

We will be travelling with our 5 & 3 year old kids.

Thank you.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Basel is worth to be visited at least for 2 days. (With Kids the zoo, the ferry boats and the Tinguely museum are recommended)

Strasbourg is very beautiful, too. Maybe more for adults. It is 1.30 hours from Basel by train. In between is Colmar, a lovely alsacian town.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 16:40
E
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Thank you. I guess it's better to stay in Basel and make a day trip to Strasbourg.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

There is also one of the biggest theme parks of Europe near Basel, well in fact between Basel and Karsruhe.

just in case your kids would be interested. :-)

www.europapark.de/lang-en/Home/c1174.html…

E
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Thank you! This is great, they will love it. Maybe we should extend our stay 1 more day.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Just to let you know the airport is not really in Basel, if you stay there you will need take a bus or taxi to/from the airport, but its a lot closer the Strasbourg. My daughter just loves Europa Park but she is 11 and tall enough for the rollercoasters (blue fire and silver star). If you are staying in Basel you can take the train to Freiburg, then the local train to Ringshiem and then the DB bus to the park or for 99 euros each way for up to 4 people a shuttle from the airport.

You also might want to think about staying in Freiburg and Day tripping for there. There is a bus to/from the Basel airport and the Frieburg train station, but to Zurich is a long train ride for a day trip.

E
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Thank you. I checked the airport's website and it says by car 5 min. ride to Basel,I guess we will stay there. We have to rent a car anyway.

I will also check the theme park. If it's mostly for young adults, no need to spend time. We will be in CA in April and to Disneyland obviously :)

Thanks again.

E
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

One more question. I am from Turkey, non Schengen country. I can enter the Swiss side with a Schengen right? I don't have to get a seperate visa for Switzerland.

For rental car, do I have to mention the pick up side (Swiss or French?) Google says there is no cross over on the parking lot.

Thank you.

E
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Any hotel suggestions in Basel? We will stay with kids therefore sth comfortable :)

Thank you.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

There are lots of ride that your kids will be able to ride. It is the nicest, cleanest theme park that I have been to, worth a visit. I have been twice with my daughter she loves the place. If you are renting a car, its a very easy drive full expressway almost all the way.

Unable to answer your Schengen and car pick up questions, very easy to go from the French side to the Swiss inside the airport. When leaving the airport there is a great lounge if you have access.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basel or Strasbourg?

Basel is 5 km away. Strasburg is 120 KM AWAY.

It is 17 minutes by bus to the City. the bus is free, if you stay in a Basel Hotel.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 21:58