We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colmar France

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Colmar France

We have an extra day in Basel, is a day trip to Colmar France worthwhile?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colmar France

Colmar is a lovely small town with beautiful, half timbered architecture. It is easy to get to from the Basel SBB station. I would say it is well worth the visit. But so is Bern, in Switzerland... which is a gem of a city! And if not on your itinerary I suggest perhaps Bern would be a better choice because the historic centre is totally different from anything else I have ever seen. Arcaded streets. Many many boutiques. and a couple of really good museums. For Bern see this TA article

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188052-c127052/Bern:…

Canada
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colmar France

i second Hambagahle's opinion. I went to both Colmar and Bern and Bern was much better. The clocks, the pillars, the bears, the fountains the pedestrian friendly main street- fantastic.

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colmar France

Thank you for your replies. We have already been to Bern, Lucerne and Strasberg which is why we selected Colmar. Loved all of them.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colmar France

Colmar is very much a small Strasbourg. If you want something quite different why not try Freiburg im Breisgau in Germany? About an hour by train from the Basel Bädischer bahnhof.

5. Re: Colmar France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:21