We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

Santiago, Chile
2 posts
Save Topic
Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

Next month I will travel to Europe for the first time with my husband. We will spend 3 - 4 days in Paris, and continue on to Basel to visit my sister, arriving around september 11 . I am thinking of doing that part of the trip by train. We have to be in Venice by the 19th, and I am torn between spending more time sightseeing in Switzerland or Italy. Besides flying from Basel or Zurich to Venice, I gather we could use train route also. If anyone has experience with this "route" please share. Does the Sbb half-fare card only work for rides within Switzerland? (therefore not for travel to Italy?) Many thanks for any input.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

hey I'm going thru the same thing as well i will be in lauterbrunnen and will go to venice. Best way by train is interlaken to milan to venice.. theres no direct train from swiizterlabd to venice that i know of.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

There is a train from Brig to Venice but it leaves at 0944 which makes it a very early start from Lauterbrunnen!

canada
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

Hi ChichiCloud, looks like your thread has been hijacked.

Basel airport is in France, Venice airport is across the lagoon, or further. I don´t like the draining of adrenaline involved.

Assume you will be spending 3 days in Basdel, maybe doing day trips to Bern and/or Rhine Falls. Your next 3 days should be spend in and around Lucerne. See the mountains and the Lake, beside the old town there.

Then you can either move on to Lugano, or even Como, Italy for another couple of days. Or from Lucerne to Chur or St Moritz to experience Engadine and the Bernina route to Tirano, Italy, and the Milan for a change of rain to Venice. Timewise the fast train competes very well with planes.

Yes the HFC give you the discount benefit within Switzerland; but, it will cover the Benina Express bus extension from Tirano to Lugano if you so desire. Or, if you are taking the train from Spiez to Milan, the Switss border will be at Domodossola, Italy.rather than inside a tunnel.

Santiago, Chile
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

Thank you Bofoster, you have given me the possibility of an entirely new travel plan that sounds wonderful. I will look into it right away. I wish I had more time now to visit Florence for instance. I guess I ' ll have to plan a second trip to Europe in the future!

Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

I am going to Venice next month and I also have to go to Basel... can anyone you tell me which one was the bed way ???

Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

best way*

7. Re: Basel to Venice - best way(s) to travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2016, 06:15