We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM at Basel main train station

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ATM at Basel main train station

I am coming to Basel next Sunday from Strasbourg. Basel will be our first stop at Switzerland and since all banks are closed on Sunday, we need an ATM to get Swiss currency. Is there an ATM, preferably from Scotia Bank, and where it's located? Also, is there a travel assistance office and where?

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM at Basel main train station

Scotia Bank :-))) You will be in Switzerland, not Canada. ;-)

Seriously, you will have a wide choice of Swiss Banks to choose from. At the station there is a Basler Kantonalbank, and just outside there is a UBS, COOP bank, and Raiffeisen.

...and yes there is a small Basel Tourist- & Hotel Information desk at the train station.

You can see all the services in the Basel SBB station at: sbb.ch/en/…shops.html

Hope this helps.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM at Basel main train station

Thank you very much, it's very helpful. The reason I am asking about Scotiabank is that my bank here has a special arrangement with Scotia to waive the ATM fees, as well as Deutsche Bank in Germany and BNP Paribas in France.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM at Basel main train station

You'll find ATMs everywhere in Switzerland. If you haven't left the US yet, ask about a bank in Swtizerland.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 01:22
Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM at Basel main train station

Well, the Bank of America here suggested to use Scotia Bank in Switzerland. I just checked their website and didn't find any affiliated bank in Switzerland at all. Very weird. Not the end of the world, of course, I am just surprised that the banker at BOA gave a wrong advise.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM at Basel main train station

I'm not surprised. It's amazing to me how many supposedly well-educated people have no idea about such things as foreign countries. I once had a young lady attending a prestigious American university tell me that Baghdad is in Belgium. Americans are not very well informed.

6. Re: ATM at Basel main train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 06:17