We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

Hello,

Can anyone please help me as to where to buy cheap train ticket between Bern to Paris ticket for Oct 12 at around 7 to 7:40 am departure one way? I tried using the raileurope webstie but its quite expensive? I also tried www.sbb.ch website but prices are more expensive than the prices on the raileurope website. Are there any tricks that I miss in searching? I am also interested in this particular time Bern dep 7:29, Paris arr 12:18, I can't check the price at sbb.ch. It tells me that the site is under maintenance and cannot book international route but when I tried other route from Bern to Paris, the prices are reflected. Please help

I'm also planning to get the Swiss half fare card. Do you guys think its worth it? This is my itinerary

Day 1 Arrive Bern from Milan in the afternoon -- Bern

Day 2 - Bern

Dy 3 - day trip to Lucerne and back

Day4 - Bern to Interlaken, climb Jungfaujoch

Day5 - Interlaken to Bern, Bern to Paris

Can I use this for my Bern to Paris trip? Will I get discount? Should I purchase this early or can I purchase this at Bern railway station upon arrival?

I am so confused with all the offerings. Any form of help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

1. Regarding TGV: Buy the tickets from 90 days before travel time on, then you get a lot of discounts.

2. 1/2-fare card: Buy it before you enter Switzerland. Otherwise you cannot take usage of it for the Swiss part of the Milano - Bern journey.

3. Do you guys think its worth it?

Do the claculation by yourself. All prices are available for the Swiss journeys on rail.ch.

And for the international journeys (from Milano, and to Paris) you can calculate the price ticket from/to the first/last stop in Switzerland after/before the border (the train has actually to stop there, but you do not need to leave or board the train, of course) to/from Bern.

E.g. for the Milano - Bern journey: From Chiasso (all trains from Milano or to Milano stop in Chiasso) to Bern, claculate only the half-fare price, what is exactely the half price of the full price, of course. If you travel along Domodossola - Simplon tunnel - Brig - Bern, then it is Domodossola you can use for the calculation since Domodossola belongs to the Swiss SBB tracks/system, even thouth it is still in Italy!

However, it could be that foreign agencies sell the tickets even cheaper than SBB.

Of course the same is true for the Bern - Paris journey. Actually there are three different routes you can take (over Basel, over Geneva, and through the Jura (Neuchâtel)).

Taking the Jura route (that's the one you are talking about) is the one without any changes and probably the shortest (in km), but not the fastest one (4:49h). And here, you can take advantage of the 1/2-card up to Neuchâtel, since this is the last stop in Switzerland.

The one over Basel is the fastest: 4:03h. And Basel is exactely at the border. And possibily the cheapest as far as the French leg is concerned.

And the one over Genève is the longest one, though it only takes 5:15h (and therefore not much longer than the Jura route).

One trick to take advantage of a Swiss Half-Card is: Buy the TGV ticket from the last stop in Switzerland to Paris (e.g., Neuchâtel, Basel, or Genève) and the Swiss leg on SBB. But, be not surprised, if the discounted versions by TGV is even cheaper than this combined one. You have to check!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

Hi Happy Lynn,

For the TGV ticket that's often cheaper than on SBB, try

www.voyages-sncf.fr (if you can manage in French)

www.tgv-europe.com (make sure you select "continue with tgv-europe" and avoid getting jumped to Raileurope)

You should be able to buy your ticket there.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

Hello Martin,

Appreciate the help. You are correct. It is cheaper indeed if I break the journey in half. Bern to Basel would cost me under 19 CHF and on top of that I can use my swiss half fare card. Thanks! I still have some questions if you don't mind, do i need to book in advance Bern to Basel ticket or can I just get it at the station comes Oct 12? Can I get the Swiss half fare card at Bern station? I already bought my Milan to Bern train ticker at 19 Euro using the trenitalia website at good deal. Again, thanks for your help.

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

Hello Swandav,

Thanks for the help as well. Prices on the ww.tgv-europe are way way better and the choices are plenty as compared to the ones posted on the www.raileurope.com and www.sbb.ch websites. Thanks again.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

FAQ: swisstravelsystem.com/en/support/Frequently-…

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

>do i need to book in advance Bern to Basel ticket or can I just get it at the station comes Oct 12? <

No, just buy at the station.

>Can I get the Swiss half fare card at Bern station?<

Yes.

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

Kimsanjose,

Thanks for the help!

8. Re: Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 07:17