We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical Bern tour, research and transportation

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Level Contributor
167 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Historical Bern tour, research and transportation

My family of 5 will be in Bern for 2 days in July. It has been a dream to walk the area in which our grandfather walked until his family left Switzerland in the early 1900's. We will see the listed historical sites however we would also like to know if there is some way we can research the family address. We understand the family home was demolished in the 1980's however, family members who remember it, do not have a physical street address. Is there a place in Bern in which to research this? Also, we are looking at Skyworks airlines flight to London to save on time/costs of flying out of Zurich or Geneva and would like to know if this is a recommended and reliable service. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
548 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical Bern tour, research and transportation

Hi Kim_OK,

If you know when you grandfather lived in Bern, this will be easy. Contact the city archives, which keep all the registers since 1850. See the contact information in the link.

bern.ch/stadtverwaltung/stadtkanzlei/stadtar…

Regarding Skywork airlines, they do have a good record. Be aware that they only fly with small turboprop planes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Level Contributor
167 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical Bern tour, research and transportation

Thank you very much. This is exactly the information I needed. I have emailed the Bern site so hopefully they will be able to assist me.

3. Re: Historical Bern tour, research and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:17