We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which side of Lake Thun to stay

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Which side of Lake Thun to stay

Can anyone recommend which side we should stay on Lake Thun?

Any recommendations on hotels would also be great - we like great food and views from the room and we'd like a nice garden to sit in at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which side of Lake Thun to stay

I would say the north side - it's better exposed to the sun, you look across to the high mountains and there's probably more choice of places to stay.

Have a look at places like Oberhofen, Gunten, Merligen. I can't suggest any specific hotels though, sorry.

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which side of Lake Thun to stay

Thanks that is very helpful I was thinking about Gunten so that has mind my mind up.

Belfast , Northern...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which side of Lake Thun to stay

Ahhhhh ! rbuck, you are asking about my favourite place !

I first visited Lake Thun in 1986 and have been back more than 20 times .

I stay on the north shore and agree with neuch , it is sunnier and the views are glorious. Transport links are very good and easy , and there are many lovely walks and places to explore .

It is also the location of my very favourite hotel - The Hotel Beatus in Merligen . It could be the place you are looking for.

It is quiet, very comfortable, and has wonderful views from all the rooms. In fact when you first walk out onto your balcony you may decide you want to just lie there for the rest of your holiday ! Dining is a real pleasure. Breakfast consists of a very extensive hot and cold buffet to set you up for the day, and dinner is an event in itself , with five courses. You can choose to sit inside or outside on the terraces overlooking the gardens and the lake. Service throughout the hotel is outstanding and yet the atmosphere is totally relaxed and laid back. Leisure facilities are superb. As well as an indoor pool , there is a wonderful outdoor pool with hydrotherapy jets, and an extensive spa , and the large and beautiful lakeside grounds provide lots of space for relaxation on the comfortable sun beds.

The location is great for trips in all directions , up into the mountains , to the other villages around the lake, to Interlaken, Thun and Berne and beyond, with public transport and lake steamers stopping right at the hotel.

I could go on and on about this place. It is a very special spot ! But be prepared to fall in love ...

Edited: 04 May 2012, 23:43
East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which side of Lake Thun to stay

Sounds fantastic - can't wait to get there now!

Many thanks for your recommendation, it is much appreciated.

5. Re: Which side of Lake Thun to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2016, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Thun
Recent Conversations