We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Montreux by train

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Geneva to Montreux by train

Hello! I'm trying to figure out if it makes any difference if I buy a ticket from Paris to Geneva and then switch trains to get to Montreux, or if I might as well just get a ticket from Paris to Montreux. I can't seem to figure out this via the various websites.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Montreux by train

Have you looked at the Swiss Rail website?

www.sbb.ch/en

for the English page. Swiss Rail works for schedules regardless of where you are departing and arriving and even if journeys don't enter Switerland.

You can take the TGV to Lausanne without changing trains and then change to the train to Montreux.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Montreux by train

Hi globalgrrl,

Some TGVs go all the way to Montreux (or they used to) and some only go to Geneva or Lausanne. I always opt for the train with the fewest changes.

Use the site kileysmom gave you above to find the best schedule. The discounted PREMs or Piccolo fares go on sale about 90 days in advance, but they sell out quickly. So buy as early as you can!

Good luck!

s

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva to Montreux by train

The Paris to Monteux and many stations along the Rhone valley only operate during the peak ski season on Saturdays.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva to Montreux by train

Just checked the timetable 100 on www.fahrplanfelder.ch and found that there is a direct Paris to Montreux TGV which runs only on Sundays during July and August. As most regulars know it isn't a chore to change trains in Switzerland anyway.

5. Re: Geneva to Montreux by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 00:16