We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gstaad and Gruyeres

Toronto
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Gstaad and Gruyeres

Hi

We are 9 people and are renting two cars to see places around Geneva in July with 2 toddlers. Contemplating train we thought it would be cheaper with the cars.

Starting from Geneva we would like to do day trips and travel to the following places:

1. Gruyeres

2. Gstaad

3. Zweisemmen

Are there any other places not to be missed here?

How easy is it to find parking in these places and how much does it cost ? Any suggestions?

Apparently there is a coffee place near Gruyeres where they give a piece of choclate with the coffee and inside the choclate in the cream...any idea what this place is...my friend says the coffee was the best he ever had.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gstaad and Gruyeres

I can only comment on Gruyeres. Public transport from Geneva is quite enjoyable, and not hugely expensive. You go Geneva - Palezieux - Gruyeres. If you drive, there is parking at the bottom of the hill below the town. You have to walk up to the old town on top of the hill. The demonstration cheese dairy is at the bottom of the hill by Gruyeres station. This is all easy to find as it's a small place. A short drive (or bus journey) away from Gruyeres is Moleson village. This has a small fun park with a summer luge, grass carting and mini golf. There is a funicular and cable car to the top of Moleson mountain.

I've had one of those chocolate cream holders, but also can't remember where. Gruyeres is full of nice restaurants - Le Chalet is supposed to be good.

Have fun.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gstaad and Gruyeres

All these places are very close together.... and if you make three trips of one day each you are going to be spending a lot of time going over the same route!

I would suggest a day to Gruyères and add to that the Chocolate Factory at Broc, which is very close by. Don't know how old your toddlers are but we took our 2 grandchildren (3 and 4) there a couple of weeks ago and it was a great hit with them!! They also liked the cheese factory at Gruyères but when question, the Chocolates won hands down!!

On your second day trip combine Gstaad and Zweisimmen. To avoid going over the same roads all the time try this:

For Gruyères - autoroute Geneva/Lausanne/Vevey/ turn towards Berne and get off at Bulle (which is a nice town to stop in as well...) Gruyères is a little further on from Bulle. Broc is nearer to Bulle than Gruyères and you could go there on the return journey.

For Gstaad and Zweisimmen - autoroute to Lausane, around Lausanne and on to Aigle. Then over the Col du Pillon and down to Gstaad. Then up to zweisimen. After that (not all that much to see there... ) then go down towards Spiez on lake Thun. From there to bern and back to Geneva.

OR come back from Zweisimmen over the Jaun pass to Bulle and then back to Geneva.

you should add a day to go to Montreux and the Château e Chillon and perhaps take the train up to the Rochers de Naye... you can drive up as far as Caux. there is a "Marmotte paradise" up there and children love marmottes....

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gstaad and Gruyeres

I heart the chocolate factory. It was really fun - informative, but lighthearted and with the best saved til last...chocolate tasting.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gstaad and Gruyeres

Oh, and if you do end up with a car, I can recommend a nice day trip to a playground and a stream for playing in, followed by a mountain restaurant with some swings (about an hour's drive from Geneva).

5. Re: Gstaad and Gruyeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:45