We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Geneva drive or train.

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
UK to Geneva drive or train.

OK this is the plan, have been looking for a while now at going by train to Geneva. Eurostar to Paris then TGV, as it sounds like a nice scenic journey on the TGV. Slight issue as we plan to arrive when the motor show is on, this was not intentional but, is could be handy if nothing open on a Sunday. Have just had a thought of maybe driving instead of getting the train! maybe mad but can anyone tell me what parking is like in Geneva ,easy to find? expensive? planning on staying about 4 nights, not too many hotels available. The Manotel Jade is showing on their website, looks nice and good reviews here on TA. Feel free to advise anyone out there?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

>Slight issue as we plan to arrive when the motor show is on, this was not intentional but, is could be handy if nothing open on a Sunday.

Where does this misconception about "nothing open on sunday" comes from? SHOPS are closed on sundays. Everything "touristy" is open. Restaurants, museums, etc. - the people want to enjoy their lives on sundays, not sit at home!

>Have just had a thought of maybe driving instead of getting the train!

It would take at least double the time of the train, possibly as much as three times that... but if you want that...

>maybe mad but can anyone tell me what parking is like in Geneva ,easy to find?

Very hard as in most Swiss cities.

>expensive?

Yes.

Think London, just without the "road pricing" (yet).

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

Dear Hollis49,

I would definitely avoid the TGV. It's an easy and handy way to get between Geneva and Paris, but there is NOTHING scenic about the trip whatsoever.

I would have recommended a pleasant drive down from the UK to Geneva on scenic French secondary roads with a possible overnight in Burgundy or the Beaujolais or the Jura, but because of the Motorshow it may be a hassle to find somewhere to park.

Indeed, the cheapest long term Parking in Geneva would be the P51 parking at the airport (CHF 25 per 24h), but with the Motorshow on (the exhibition center is next to the airport) it will be difficult to find a place. Besides, I believe that the P51 may be used by some exhibitors for the entire duration of the show. But if you really want to drive it the P51 remains your best shot.

Altamiro is quite right regarding Sundays; while some small neighbourhood grocery stores are open as well as gas stations and the airport supermarket, other shops are closed. However, everything else is open and will be very busy with the Motorshow.

You can safely book the Jade; it is a very nice hotel. Book it asap since hotels fill up fast during the show.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

I have driven, flown and trained from the UK to Geneva very often.

Personally I love the drive. At a push, including the ferry crossing, I can leave my home in the Midlands at 8ish n the morning and be in Geneva in time for supper. Usually though I take a couple of days about it, and take the scenic route through the Jura. (Lots to see in the mountains BTW if you can take even longer.)

If it were a choice between the train and driving I agree with CAB. I would drive.

Parking can be a problem, but your hotel should be able to arrange it. You won't actually need the car in Geneva as you will be provided with a public transport pass by the hotel, and Geneva is not huge.

The other advantage of driving (for me at least) is that you can bring back lots and lots of chocolate.

CAB, I'm running low on Frigor and Avelines. If I send you my address... LOL

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

I called the Jade; their 24h parking is CHF 30. I would opt for this solution. It's not much more than the CHF 24 at the airport and at least the car is at hand if needed.

Indeed all hotel guests in Geneva receive a general public transportation pass for the length of their stay (applies from the moment it is issued by the hotel reception). This is by far the best way around Geneva.

Worldvoyager - I don't know if I can do much about the Frigor, but I live a stroll away from the Favarger factory and their lovely boutique. I just love those little Avelines...

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

I used to take music lessons from a lady who lived above the Favarger factory. In summer, when she opened the windows, the smell was so heavenly that it was hard to concentrate on the music!

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

I'm fortunate to often wake up to that smell.

If you haven't visited the boutique yet, I highly suggest you do; it really is nice.

I took my piano lessons in Mies. It was great but no chocolate smell...

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

Thanks to all that have replied. The Jade is as you rightly point out full, due to the show. However the Epsom has rooms free, so will hold one while I decide how to get there!

Did not mean to offend when saying about what is and is not open on a Sunday, just what I had read on here. Nice to have the opinion of a local expert though.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to my trip now.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

CAB, I haven't been to the shop yet but I will check it out next time I am in Versoix. The friend I stay with used to live on Ch de Pont-Céard. She has now moved to Nyon, but I will hop the train.

hollis49, if you do consider driving, have a look at Speed Ferries (www.speedferries.com). They are fast, cheap and reliable, a great alternative to the traditional alternatives.

If you want some en-route tips or itinerary suggestions, do come back.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

I may sound really stupid, but what about flying? It seems less expensive than the train.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: UK to Geneva drive or train.

That is very true, try Easy Jet. You will save on the petrol and it is cheaper than trains. And of course, much faster.

If you want a car in Geneva, rent one although the public transport system is very easy to use and Geneva is small enough to make it easy to go anywhere.