We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do on christmas day in Geneva

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
what to do on christmas day in Geneva

Hi

we are coming to Geneva on 24th for 1 week . planning to stay 24th and 25th in Geneva and leave for charmonix on 26th morning . And Staying 2 nights in charmonix and on 28th morning leaving for milan . stay the night in milan and come back on either 29th or 30th . we have flight back to UK on 31st late night . I know it might sound hectic but my son wants to visit all these places . My question is are we missing any must see place near geneva instead of charmonix ??? And what can we do in Geneva on 25th as most places must be close on christmas . Thank you so much in advance .

10 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

sorry forgot to ask one more question that we want to hire a car . so do we have to hire a car from french side of the airport or swiss side as i read that we cant take swiss cars to other EU countries and we want to drive to charmonix and Milan . Thanks .

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

I'm really curious to see responses to your question. We, too arrive in Geneva on the evening of the 24th of Dec and leave again on 27th Dec. We are desperate for ideas on what to do on Christmas Day. We are happy to take a day trip to a nearby town/village/city, as long as there will be something to do there. Thanking you in anticipation.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

First - it is not "charmonix" but "Chamonix" And if you are using a GPS this is important.

Second - there is really not much to do in Geneva itself on 25 December - have a nice lunch in a hotel restaurant. Walk around. Not much will be open. If you want to go somewhere where something is open you have to go to the mountains...which are closest in France. Museums etc in Geneva are closed on 25 December. So are all shops and most restaurants. (those in hotels will be open).

Third - have you booked your hotel in Chamonix? If not - get one NOW or change plans. This is high ski season in the Alps and you need to be sure you have a place to sleep. Milan should not be a problem

Third - car rental - Hertz (at least and probably other companies) will have you sign a waiver about the rental and then there should be no problem in renting from the Swiss side. Which is important because rental cars here are equipped for winter AND have a vignette for our autoroutes (which saves you time)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

Hambagahle thank you so much for your reply . I have booked my hotel in CHAMONIX and Milan . I changed my plan and now we will be going to Chamonix on christmas day . and just booked my rental car too . Its very expensive to hire a car around that time but i think without car it will be very difficult . I hired from swiss side so it will come with winter tyres and i checked with them and its fine to take the car to Italy and France for no extra cost . Thanks for your help .

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

Geneva to Chamonix is an easy drive and will take you just over an hour. Chamonix to Milan - take the Mt Blanc tunnel. It is not cheap but it is quick and if you don't you then have to either go around via Grenoble or via the St Bernard which in any case is closed at the moment and probably won't re-open until the end of December. Since you'll be coming back to Geneva to drop the car get a round trip ticket at the Mt Blanc tunnel.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

Ohhh thanks for this new information i didnt know that there is charge to use this tunnel , i just checked its euros 55 return . Thats expensive . I was surprised about the car hire prices its double compare to summer . I wish i knew about all these costs . I wouldve plan coming in summer , my favourite time .

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

The St Bernard tunnel is a bit cheaper but not much and anyway is closed at the moment and no one knows when it will open. Latest I read is somewhere towards the end of the month - 30th perhaps - but that won't work for you. And if you think €55 is expensive wait until you start paying the Italian motorway tolls!

Car hire prices - it is ski season and demand for rental cars is very high. Over Christmas it is the HIGHEST part of the ski season as well. Why not take the trains? Skip Chamonix though.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

I booked villa in chamonix which i cant cancel but now thinking skipping Milan . I checked train prices , i rather take a flight from uk than taking train from there . It was over £ 160 return . Can you please suggest any good coach comany to chamonix ??? I checkec with chamexpress but they have no service on christmas day . I saw ouibus but not sure about their reliability. I am thinking of changing the whole schedule. Thanks for your help . Appreciate a lot

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

Buses run to Chamonix from the Gare Routière in Geneva. See this for details

https:/…bus

It is possible that no buses run on 25 December.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do on christmas day in Geneva

There is a similar discussion with more information available:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18805…

Reply to: what to do on christmas day in Geneva
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted