We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 free days in Geneva - would like to go hiking. Any advice?

New York
1 post
Save Topic
2 free days in Geneva - would like to go hiking. Any advice?

Hi kind people

I finish a meeting in Geneva on Thursday at 5 pm, and I am free until early Sunday morning (next week) I don't want to stay in the city. I would really like to stay in a smaller town, cheap lodging, where I can go for quiet walks. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance, Gloria

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 free days in Geneva - would like to go hiking. Any advice?

Hi Gloria, I would suggest that you take the train after your meeting to Interlaken and stay there for the few days. You will find plenty of walks with spectacular views in the Wengen, Grindlewald o Murren areas.

Have a great trip.

Regards

John.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 free days in Geneva - would like to go hiking. Any advice?

Hi GoingNewYork,

Getting to the high mountains of the Berner Oberland (south of Interlaken as stated above) is a good idea. It will take 3-4 hours to get here from Geneva.

Another idea would be to sepnd that time in/around the towns of Gstaad (www.gstaad.ch) or Chateau d'Oex (www.chateau-doex.ch), where German & French Switzerland meet. This area is characterized by lush green rolling hills that go on forever! It will take about two hours to get here from Geneva.

A third idea is to stay at Lake Geneva. Maybe settle in a small town like Morges or a large town like Vevey or Montreux and take walks around the lake or go up in the pre-Alps for panoramic views.

Hope you find something that appeals to you!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 free days in Geneva - would like to go hiking. Any advice?

A fourth idea is to take the train from Geneva to Chatel St. Denis and the bus to Les Paccots, from where you can do some pleasant simple hiking in the prealps.

I've described how to get there and some of my favourite walks here:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g644345-Les_Paccots_…

The link also includes a couple of photos I've taken (winter I'm afraid, but you'll get the idea).

If you are interested let me know and I can tell you more.

4. Re: 2 free days in Geneva - would like to go hiking. Any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 14:19