We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a 16-month-old

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
With a 16-month-old

We'll be traveling to Geneva for a week in October with our soon-to-be 16-month old child. Can anyone give me ideas for good things to do with her? Does anyone know whether car seats are required in cabs? (We'd like to get around on public transit if possible.) We love parks - I hope it's not too rainy in early October. She loves looking at animals - dogs, cats and everything else. She's a little too young to really pay attention to things like puppet shows, but she is intrigued by public art, fountains, gardens and sculptures. She loves physical things, as she is starting to become a real walker.

Are people in Switzerland very tolerant of little ones? She's a fairly good tempered girl, but she is a toddler, and I am hoping her first public meltdown doesn't take place abroad - or on the airplane!

And in terms of shopping, is it fairly easy to find disposable diapers, which we use when we travel? Are there good toy stores, children's bookstores, or children's clothing stores?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

London England
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With a 16-month-old

Hi Cattrav,

I just came back from Geneva a couple of days ago. I found the Swiss to be very nice people and very tolerant of little ones. I didnt have one with me myself but saw loads of families travelling with toddlers and taking walks along the lake. I am sure she will be fine.

There are some sculptures, a flower clock and a nice water fountain in the small english garden here (if switched on):

maps.google.co.uk/maps…

Also (visible from here) and also very near here (a couple of minutes walk) is the Jet d'Eau which is a 459 feet high water spout. Very nice to look at. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_d'Eau

They switch it off when it becomes quite windy.

There are swans and ducks in the lake and it can be fun to throw them some food. They all come towards you, knowing dinner is being served.

Dont know much about the other questions you asked. Perhaps someone else can help.

I am sure you will have a great time. Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With a 16-month-old

Thank you so much! Do you think it would it be ridiculous to try to take her sledding somewhere in early October? Would it be worth packing her snowsuit?

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With a 16-month-old

To take her sledding in early October, you would have to go to the nearest glacier, which would be Les Diablerets! It would be a great trip but quite a journey and I think you should ask your doctor about the advisability of taking a toddler to a 3000 meter glacier.

If you and she love gardens and sculptures, you will adore the Fondation Pierre Gianadda in Martigny. It is one of my very favourite museums, with an amazing vintage car museum, a permanent art collection, excellent temporary exhibitions, a Roman amphitheatre and artifacts, and a beautiful large park studded with modern sculptures. At a guess, it would be about 1 1/2 hours by train from Geneva. But you can stop en route to see the incredible Chateau of Chillon.

You can check train timetables on www.rail.ch.

London England
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With a 16-month-old

If you do decide to go to Glacier 3000 then it might be worth looking at the coach excursions that run from Geneva. I went with Keytours which runs from the Geneva bus terminal in the city centre. If you want to go yourself (more fun and you can plan your own day and stay as long as you want) you will need to catch 2 trains and a bus to get to the Glacier which might be a little hassle with a toddler in tow. Either way (coach or train) you are looking at around 2 and a half hours travelling time to get to the glacier.

I went on the sledge ride on Glacier 3000 and it was great fun. Its 15 francs per person and is about 400 meters long. You can do longer ones too i believe.

As the previous poster said, you may want to check whether its a good idea to take a toddler up a 3000 meter mountain. When i went it was quite warm (early Sept it was 5c and quite warm in the sun) however it will be colder when you go!

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: With a 16-month-old

This is great advice - but now for a really silly question. As of today, she is walking for real - not just holding on to mom's hand or teetering from place to place, but getting up and going places on her own. Terror!

So, I have heard that in France it is not a good idea to walk on the grass in parks. Any thoughts about Geneva? Can we let her careen around a park, or would that be poor form? I'm almost tempted to bring some sort of leash or harness, but maybe that's just my fear talking.

6. Re: With a 16-month-old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 15:20