We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Chamonix

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Chamonix

Is it possible to take a train from Geneva to Chamonix?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,754 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Chamonix

There are no direct trains between Geneva and Chamonix; The train lines run in a very roundabout ways.

There are however fast and direct bus connections (www.gareroutiere.ch)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Chamonix

Hi Hylasgirl,

Yes, it would be possible to take the train between Geneva and Chamonix, but it would involve a lot of changes. You c;an check the exact schedule at the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

But far more convenient is the bus, which goes directly from Geneva to Chamonix. Here's a link to the bus service:

http://212.203.98.98/WW70AWP/WW70AWP.EXE/CTX_3560-0-kCpugqxgTe/Main/SYNC_-2143321250?DRAPEAU_EN

Use the drop-down menu and select "Regular Lines Region Bordercross" to get the information for Chamonix.

Have fun!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Chamonix

The bus takes about 90minutes, the train takes at least 2 hours and you need to go to the Gare des Eaux Vives, take the local train to Annemasse, and then change (and soemtimes change once more)

Busses run more often in the winter than in the summer.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Chamonix

Thanks everyone. I am thinking that a car out of Colmar is going to be the thing to do. I have tried to work it out in all kinds of ways, but it appears it's our best option. And the cheapest.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Chamonix

Thanks everyone. I am thinking that a car out of Colmar is going to be the thing to do. I have tried to work it out in all kinds of ways, but it appears it's our best option. And the cheapest.

I am trying to think of a place to stay somewhere between Colmar and Chamonix and just can't quite decide where I would like to stay the most. Decisions decisions...

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Chamonix

If you are starting in Colmar, there is no need to go to Geneva at all. The fastest route by train goes via Basel, Bern, Visp, and Martigny, and takes a bit over 5 hours to Chamonix.

You can view the schedule and route at www.rail.ch

If you still needed an intermediate stop, Bern is a lovely city, a little less than halfway.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Chamonix

One change in Martigny between Geneva & Chamonix. The change is about as fool-proof as it gets. Views are stupendous.

We took the train because we had Swiss Pass that covered the train through Switzerland but not other routes through France. Glad we did.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Chamonix

One change in Martigny between Geneva & Chamonix. The change is about as fool-proof as it gets. Views are stupendous.

We took the train because we had Swiss Pass that covered the train through Switzerland but not other routes through France. Glad we did.

Level Contributor
276 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Chamonix

Also have done the train from Geneva to Chamonix, train direct to Martigny and only one change onto Mont Blanc Express to Chamonix (sbb site shows another change but this only happened going back and was easy)

The scenery was fantastic - the Mont Blanc Express was the highlight.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Chamonix

Ok... for all you train experts... We are staying in Colmar and then wanting to end up in Chamonix. We do not need the fastest, direct route, and I have built in a day to stay overnight somewhere in between. What would be a good rail route? Is there anything direct from Zermatt, or Luzern area? I would love to go from Colmar to Basel and then find a good route that gets me into Chamonix the next morning. SO, I would love to stay maybe more than halfway along the journey. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... would love an approx. price for this journey??

Thank you so much! I really would like to do this by rail if possible.