We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and where to go????!

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay and where to go????!

Dear people,

I am doing a road trip through Europe during Dec/Jan and planning on staying a nights. I would just like some advice on best places to stay (max. £20 per person/per night), and the best things to do/see and what not to miss. Also if you know the names of the best night life spots.....much appreciated

Thanx!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

I assume you mean in Geneva? On your budget, I think you are going to have to find the hostels because it is very difficult to find a hotel for 30 SF a night per person.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

Are you driving from the UK in your own car, or are you planning to rent a car? If it's the latter then this can work out as a very expensive option due to the additional charges attached by rental companies for taking a car out of one country into another.

You are definitely going to struggle on your budget, but you should hopefully be able to find some hostel options. In order for people to better direct you to these, can you answer the questions below.

Are you particularly interested in staying in Geneva, or are you open to other ideas in the wider area? Where will you be coming from before Switzerland and what is your onward destination? Are you planning to visit other places in Switzerland? You mentioned night spots - does this mean you are really keen on clubbing? What other things interest you? Do you want to get out into nature, be in the mountains, do some skiing or other winter sports? Do you like museums, history, sightseeing? Let us know more about your interests and your plans so far and we can better direct you.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

There are a couple of Y's in Geneva but even there I fear your budget will not cover the nightly cost. If you are driving from the Uk you might do better in a smaller place - one of the towns further down the lake such as Nyon, Morges etc. (Stay away from the Montreux area since this is, again, expensive!) It is not going to be easy.

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I will be arriving in switzerland from monaco. I will be going on to Paris.

I would just like to see some of Geneva. I am interested in seeing historical things, and also would like to see breathtaking scenery. I woul dbe interested in seeing lakes/mountains. Probably will not have time to go skiing though. I do not mind staying a little away from Geneva

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

I stay in family accommodation, so I cannot personally recommend places to stay near Lake Geneva. However, there are places that I am aware of that are definitely worth investigating. As one who often has to travel on a very tight budget, what I'll do is list all the places I am aware of that don't cost too much. These are not the only places, and there are certainly plenty more in tons of other places, but these are the ones I know. Hopefully others can do the same and you can make some decisions based on that. These places are not necessarily in the famous or historic places, but they each have their own charm, and I can certainly tell you how to have budget fun from each of them if you ask.

Montreux is at the other end of the lake from Geneva (just over an hour's drive). It's a famous attractive lakeside town, with plenty of things to do. Bear in mind that with the car, you may have to factor in parking costs, and would have to talk to your accommodation about whether they have/include parking in their price. From Montreux, you can take a special scenic train up into the local mountains where you will most likely be able to enjoy messing around in the snow. If the train is too pricey for you, there are places you can easily drive to from Montreux to get out and about in the fresh air and snow. I am not sure if the youth hostel in Territet/Montreux is open year round, but it's worth a look, being right by the lake. Territet is slightly out of Montreux, but there are good quick bus links, or a stroll along the lake front:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188108-d790532…

If you like the idea of spending time right up at the top of a mountain, there are dorms at the top of the Rochers de Naye above Montreux (you would need to factor in the expense of the train up there, and it's not a place for commuters to stay - you'd be going up there for the experience - I think the yurts are a bit expensive unless you are a group of 8, but there are dorms too):

goldenpass.ch/rochers_de_naye_overnight_stays

Vevey is an attractive lakeside town and you can get to tons of fun stuff from there. I don't know how the prices look at Riviera Lodge in Vevey, but it's a consistantly popular place, so again worth a look:

www.rivieralodge.ch/

There are also some small mountain pensions that I am familiar with that would be quite handy with a car. They are slightly more than your budget, but I've got to be honest in saying that your budget is fairly unlikely for Switzerland. Don't lose heart because there are plenty of ways to save money. Here is one where I know they have very good food (particularly good money saving if you take the half board option), and it's in a nice spot for messing around in the snow:

www.lesrosalys.ch/

If you are willing to drive a bit further (hour and a half), I am aware of some reasonably priced places in Moleson village, which is a small skiing village with a nice funicular and cable car to the top of a local mountain. The village is not particularly historic or well known and for this reason, the price of accommodation seems quite reasonable (again, have no personal experience of the accommodation):

There is a simple hotel/hostel half way up Moleson mountain (accessed by a funicular, with parking at the bottom - not a good spot for commuting, but nice for an overnight with messing around on the mountain):

www.moleson.ch/detail.asp…

There's also a dorm on top of the mountain - a bit out of your price bracket, but includes food and various things, which all add up:

www.moleson.ch/detail.asp…

So, these are the areas I am most familiar with, with a few options. Hopefully that should get you started with your research and I'm sure others will chip in too.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

The cheapest accomodation I have heard of in or near the ski resorts is "Le Stop" in le Châble, at the foot of the mountain that leads up to Verbier...

Here is a link - and the basic cost is 29frs pp per night...

www.le-stop.ch/anglais

7. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 05:16