We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV from Geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
TGV from Geneva

Hi

I will be coming from Montreux by train to Geneva on the 18th Feb. Then catching the TGV to Paris n the same day. I want to ensure I allow sufficient time to negotiate getting between the platforms. I have a hold on TGV tickets at 1613, The trains I am looking at catching from Montreux arrive in Geneva at 1524 on Platform 3 or 1550 at Platform 1. Does anyone have any recommendations to ensure this transfer goes smoothly?

Regards Julie

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV from Geneva

Hi julieo63,

Though you don't say which track the TGV leaves from, I'm sure it would take you about ten minutes to change trains. At the most!

Either of these connections will give you more than plenty and plenty of time. You may want to stop at a cafe or grocery store at the station and get some gourmet snacks and wine for the trip!

Have fun!

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV from Geneva

>Does anyone have any recommendations to ensure this transfer goes smoothly?

Yes.

Give a thought to how you want to spend the waiting time between the trains. If you arrive at 15:50, you have time to buy a couple of pastries and maybe a newspaper or such. If you arrive at 15:24... well... you can browse the bookshop.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV from Geneva

Basically all you have to do is get off the train, walk down the ramp, walk about 20m and walk up the stairs to the French Customs. Walk through Customs and get on the TGV. All of this will take you 4-5minutes, max! Also the French Customs doesn't open until the train is there and ready to board so if you get there early you just have to wait.

There is no passport control between Switzerland and France.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV from Geneva

Thank you so much for your prompt replies. Julie

5. Re: TGV from Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 05:18