We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

I had a lot of trips from GVA to Villars, about 5 roundtrip in the past year, and this is my final one. A great year in Switzerland but happy to go back to my country, but with a lot of bags. In my last trips half of them where in a share taxi. Good but very very expensive. And the other in train, great, cheap and better views of the lake. When I travelled by train it was about with 1 big baggage and one small. But now Im travelling with one big, one medium, 2 smalls and pretty sure another one medium. WOW! thats 5 bags, which 4 will be in the plane, and I will not have to pay any xtra charges. So as you can see travelling with all that bags will be difficult in train, so the only way is taxi and I think it will not be a shared taxi. So that means about 400 CHF one way. Any recomendations of what to do. I wanted to do check-in at the train station but I cant because Im leaving from GVA at 9:00 am. Well thanks.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

It seems to me, having looked at the CFF website, that they are in the process - or have already - changed their rules for baggage.

IF you can get your bags to Aigle, two days before your flight before 1800 then it looks as though they will take them to Geneva. But the site is not as clear as it used to be on the subject! Can you take them to Montreux? Surely a taxi to Montreux would be lots cheaper than one to the airport and you could then take your bags before 6pm two days before, and collect them early in the am in Geneva on the day you travel. It will take a bit of planning, packjng 48 hours early but could be done...

Another thought! Could you rent a car and drive to the airport? This should be lots cheaper than 400frs.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

Great ideas, but only one thing. Im actually a student, and that's why I was just 1 year and in Villars. It's not possible to me to take it to the train station. And of course I cant rent a car. So the only option is taxi... Or have you ever been on a train with 4 or 5 bags?? just alone?? although it's in 1st, but still I have no idea how I will take all bags from where the taxi leaves me to the train or when I arrive to Geneva take all those bags to the check in counter??? Is it possible or too crazy?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

getting on the train at Aigle will be hard since there is not much time. Getting off in Geneva is easy because the train sits there for over 10 minutes and there are baggage trolleys right on the platform (2frs deposit). The only suggestion I have is to take a taxi from Villars to Aigle and then have the driver (tip him well in advance!) help you with the bags.

Or - go to the BVB station in Villars and see if you can ship the largest ones two days before to the airport. You should be able to do this. (You can do ti from verbier and there is no station there - the Post bus takes care of it...and the post bus stops at the BVB station in Villars!)

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

ok, ok. Getting ideas... So thanks Hambagahle, now I have three options.

Call a taxi to help me, which Im sure its a great idea, but should I ask him for help when doing the reservation, or when we arrive to Aigle. And I will sure go to the BVB station to ask. Do they charge more? how much?

By the way do you think in Villars Tourism office they might be able to help me?

Also, if I finish with going to Aigle in taxi with help, how am I going to fit properly 5 bags, One of them will be in front of using the front seat space the other can be under the seats and the other on top, but still... At least I will take the train on Saturday leaving at 6:08 a.m. so I arrive an more than an hour and a half before my flight to Frankfurt.

HELP!!!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

I went to the train station in Villars, but there was only one person attending and 3 more waiting and I didnt have time. But I checked the website and they have that service but they deliver it to you after 9:00 am and my flight leaves at 9:25, so I need to see if I leave it two days before they might send it on time. Because I need them at 7:20 a.m. at the airport.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

Well, just "pack smart"!! Put what you will not need for a while into the checked bags, and what you absolutely cannot do without (for me it would be Earl Grey tea!) into your carry on bags. And if you have only two bags to go with you to the airport you can take either the bus or the BVB to the mainline stations (either Aigle or Bex.) Sorry if I sound like a mother, but I am not only that but a grandmother too!!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

Well, well, well. So there were changes, actually Im living some days after Im passing two nights in Geneva with my aunt and cousins, so they are actually going to hire a big van so no problem for me. Still thanks for all your help.

8. Re: Villars to Geneva Airport, lots of bags.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:17