We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are hoping to visit the 2012 Geneva Motor Show which I understand is on from March 8th - 18th. I have found some competitively priced flights from our local airport departing on Friday 9th and returning Sunday 11th. I am looking for a few pieces of information and any advice would be appreciated:

Generally when do the tickets for the motor show go on sale?

Is Palexpo walking distance from Geneva airport, or is there a shuttle etc?

Can anybody recommend budget accommodation near by? We would hope to travel from the hotel to the Palexpo on foot or by shuttle.

Any other tips for the Geneva Motor Show?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

Hi

Not sure when tickets go on sale, but never any problems to purchase on the day. Palexpo is right next to the airport so easily within walking distance.

Cheap accomodation is the major problem as every hotel room for miles around is booked up. You can try the Ibis hotels or anything else you can find in Geneva. Public transport is so good in Geneva you'll never be more than a 30 min bus ride from any hotel.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 21:39
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,361 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

We stayed at the Moevenpick for which I posted a review.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g188057-d2…

They have a regular shuttle that pick you up from the airport as well as taking you to the exhibition centre. Get a rate that includes breakfast, food is expensive in Geneva.

We had no trouble getting tickets on the day.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,353 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

The Motor Show has a huge impact on hotels in Geneva and in a large radius around Geneva - hotels are booked months in advance as far away as Montreux or Lyon! So book now.

I need to be at a hotel in Geneva for the night of 8th March, as it so happens. I looked at the Mövenpick and the Ramada (or whatever it is calling itself thse days!) as I have stayed there before. For one night they wanted around 1000CHF!! For that price I can stay home and take a taxi to the airport! However in the end I have found, through the Geneva tourist office site, a room at the Kempinski, a 5 star hotel right on the lake in town., for about 400frs.

I suggest you use the Geneva Tourist Office site as it will filter the dates and price ranges. Then book via that site whatever you need. It seemed to undercut the Kempinski site rate by around 100frs.

www.genevatourism.ch

as for tickets - everyone I know who goes to the Show buys them at the entrance. You will be going at the start of the show. Get there as soon as the doors open (10am??) and the lines will be shorter.

And please! Do not judge Geneva by the prices and availabilty, restaurant prices etc during the Motor Show. Everything gets increased... the town is chock-a-block with visitors.

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

Why don't travel agents do short breaks to include THE show?

5. Re: Airport Accomodation & 2012 Geneva Motor Show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:16