We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

I will be arriving at Geneva Station from Paris at 10AM.

I have to reach Lucerne around 5PM

I have the time between free to explore the region.

I will be having a swiss Pass or Eurail pass so the fares are no problem.

I was intending to take a lake trip & then a train trip in the region before heading off to Lucerne.

If the lake trip on Lake Lucerne is better, then it can be cancelled, as I will be taking a lake trip in Lucerne when going to the mountain top.

The saved time can be utilized better for exploring the region.

I have 2 queries.

1. Can i take my small suitcase & a Hand bag with me on the cruise Boats in Lake Geneva (Between 2 persons)

2. Which trips would the members recommend for the best scenes. I will not be exploring any city in a major way except maybe just out of the station & see around whatever is possible on foot.

Thanks for advising

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Forgot to add

Will be travelling in July/August 2012 only

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,314 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

You will need to leave Geneva around 2pm to get to Luzern by 5pm So you will not have much time. Save the lake cruise for Luzern and spend your few hours walking in the old town of Geneva. The link below will give you ideas about where to go:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

You can check your bags at the station - there are lockers, coin operated, and also a luggage office. Both are perfectly safe.

For train times for your connection to Luzern use this link:

www.sbb.ch/en

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Thanks for the reply

I rechecked my timings

I intend to take the golden Pass route from Montreaux to Lucerne so even if I leave Geneva at 10.36am immediately on arrival, I reach arrive only at 5pm in Lucerne.

So I will have to give Geneva a complete pass.

Thanks for advising

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,314 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Too bad! (as far as Geneva is concerned). But I am sure you will enjoy the Golden Pass. If you can, plan to have at least an hour to see a little of Montreux (by the way, no "a" in the spelling!). it is a lovely town. Even if all you do is walk along the lake a little you can get a feel for it.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

@hambagahle

Thanks for the valued suggestion.

But only if I take the 10.26 train from Geneva & continue without a break , then I can get the original Golden Pass panaromic coaches.

I am greedy to travel in them as I will be having a 1st class pass & I will not have to pay any supplement.

Moreover, I have to check in to my hostel in Lucerne & it will be a long day for me as I leave Paris at 7am, so any further delay will only add to my fatigue.

But Thanks for advising

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Hi,

It is a good idea to travel by golden pass panoramic train. If you can manage some time in Montreux, then leave your baggage at station lockers and take a 30 minute stroll on the lake promenade.

In case you decide not to take the panoramic train, then you can probably spend time to visit Chateau du chillon, which is about 3 km from Montreux.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Hi @Deepak/@hambagahle

I will not be able to get the panaromic coaches as I just noticed that the TGV 7AM train does not run on Sundays between Paris & Geneva

So I will have to catch the 8 AM train which will arrive at 11.30AM in Geneva

It is 1 hour between Geneva & Montreaux & the 1st Train from Montreaux to Lucerne via the golden pass route I can get is at 13.45

So basically I have 1 hour to spend either at Geneva or Montreaux around the station.

Which of the 2 citiies you would suggest I can just stroll around on foot to best utilise the spare time ?

Thanks for advising

Edited: 16 November 2011, 12:57
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Hi,

If I had 1 hour extra time, I would keep my luggage at Montreax station and walk down to lake side. Because it is gonna be in Aug, you can expect flowers lined up all along the Montx. lake promenade.

It takes about 5 mns to reach the lake from Montx station.So, you can do a good 30 mn stroll on the lakeside.

I would prefer Montx to Geneva lake side because it takes less time to reach lake from station.The ambience in Montx. is undoubtedly better than Geneva.

In case you have a little more time(about 2 hrs), I will strongly recommend to stroll as close to Chateau Chillon before you head back towards station.

Deepak

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,314 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Montreux. Geneva is a far larger city and it will take you about 10mins to walk down to the lake. And you have to get back to the station. Montreux (and please, please spell it correctly!!) is very small. It takes about two minutes to get to the lakefront.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spend 4 - 6 hours in the Geneva region

Thanks..

Montreux it is.. (Spelled correctly!)

Thanks for advising