We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Geneva.. ??

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Geneva.. ??

I have 2 nights in Geneva and would love to do the best. We have heard of Chamonix and Vevey- montreux for a day's trip while in Geneva..

I'd love some suggestion. I and my hubby will be getting there on 1.7.2012 and would check out on 3.7.2012 and so would love the suggestion as to what we can fit best in this.. We are looking to book a hotel which'd be close to city centre or so but we'd love suggestions for us to book early and enjoy the most.

Thanks,

Richa

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

This thread will give you lots of ideas for your time in Geneva:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188057-c127289/Genev…

Some nice day trip options would include taking the train to Montreux and going to Chateau de Chillon (a beautiful castle). You can take a local train from Montreux station to the castle (station Veytaux Chillon), or a bus from the lake side of the lake road, or walk (go to the lakeside promenade, face the lake, turn left and walk for about an hour). If you are visiting no other mountains during your trip, and if the weather is reasonable, consider taking the little train from Montreux up to the Rochers de Naye. There are stunning views over the lake, and the summit is at a pleasant 2000m. Vevey is a nice stop off on the way back or on the way there - there are some interesting museums and a pretty old town and lake promenade.

An alternative day trip is to the Gruyere area. You can take the train from Geneva to Paleziuex and then change onto the narrow gauge train to Gruyeres. This is a beautiful walled Medieval town with a castle and the HR Giger museum (famous from the film Alien). There is a demonstration cheese dairy by the station. You can visit a local mountain top from Gruyeres. Take the bus from Gruyeres station up to Moleson-sur-Gruyeres. From there, there is a funicular and a cable car up to the top of Moleson mountain. Beautiful views and a very fun journey. There is also a small fun park at the bottom of the funicular. Alternatively, you can visit the chocolate factory in Broc. Take the train from Gruyeres to Bulle, and then change onto an even smaller train to Broc Fabrique. The chocolate factory is right next to this, and you can walk around a fun exhibition with chocolate tasting at the end.

For all journeys you can use www.rail.ch to plan. Simply enter your "from" and "to" points and it works it all out for you. Public transport is extremely efficient and punctual. If the website says you can make a change between trains/buses, then this will be possible, even if the transfer time seems small.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

Thank you for this. I will surely make a note of this. Honestly we have not yet decided on mountain trips but like we were planning for Chamonix-Mont Blanc excursion from Geneva. Any reviews on that?! Is it worth the time and price.

Also since we will be arriving in Geneva by noon so approximately till what times will be have the trains working. We will be buying swiss super saver pass 2nd class mostly, does that help with any train fares and other public transport?!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

Hopefully others will chip in with information from you. I have been to Chamonix, but it's been many years. I hear the cable cars are most enjoyable/scary!

Many intercity trains work until around midnight. If you are going somewhere and you want to be sure you can catch the last connecting train back, plan your journey on www.rail.ch Be careful if you are going up into the mountains, as transport often stops early in the evening.

Second class travel is very nice, so you'll have no concerns there. Are you sure you need a pass - if you are only in Switzerland for a couple of days, sometimes a pass isn't worth it (particularly if on at least one of the days, you will be sightseeing around Geneva, which is very walkable). As far as I know, super saver tickets are only available on some routes on some days, and have to be bought in advance. Again, use www.rail.ch to check out prices of journeys.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

Thank you again for the info. The main reason for buying swiss pass is as we will be travelling inter city from geneva-interlaken-lucerne-zurich and so the swiss pass. Is it still a good bet?!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

Hi all,

We have booked our stay at Geneva from 1st till the 3rs July 2012 and would want to take Chamonix-Mont Blanc excursion on 2nd July. Any clue which tours can we contact to make our booking,

Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,889 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

You can't really take a train to Chamonix from Geneva - well, you can IF you are willing to make several changes... the French rail network in the area doesn't work as well as the Swiss.

The easeist - and most likely cheapest - way to get to and from Chamonix in a day from Geneva is by van transfer. Chamexpress, in my opinion, are the best. ww.chamexpress.com There are others which are totally unreliable so before choosing a company be sure to check them out on the Trip Advisr website! Expect to spend about €26 each way per person to Chamonix. You can also take a bus from the Gare Routière in Geneva to Chamonix. But they run less often and cost more. There are also trains (with connections as I said) from the Gare des Eauxx Vives in Geneva via Annemasse and often Annecy...

IF possible, go there on a Saturday. There is a wonderful market in the centre (or almost) of town. But be sure to get there early enough to get in the queue for the téléphérique up to the Aiguille du midi as soon as possible. There are often long lines. And if you have a fear of heights OR if it is a very low cloudy day, do not go up. Visibility will be restricted.

Another way of getting there is to come to Martigny by train from Geneva. If you have a Swiss pass this would be included, as would the train over from here to Chamonix. And it is a VERY beautiful train ride. This summer you will probably have to change from the train to a bus at Vallorcine because there is work on the railway line, but it is all coordinated and all included in the Swiss pass. So one way via Martigny and then return via Chamexpress might be a good idea. It takes about 1hr 45mins to get to Martigny and another 90 mins over to Chamonix...

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

Thank you for all the information. We finally decided we want to travel to Chamonix on 2nd July, the hotel people suggest us to take a bus from Gare Routière but we are sure there are much better and other ways to take that trip.

We also have got a swiss saver pass which we can use if required. what would be the best possible route according to you.

Thank you again :)

Richa

8. Re: 2 nights in Geneva.. ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:15