We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas market

Annemasse...
1 post
Save Topic
christmas market

I would like to visit a Christmas market in the region. where should I go and what are the specialities?

Mme Grimsdale

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas market

Hi Ellen G,

I've heard good things about the Bern and the Basel markets. I would also head to the Montreux Christmas market as well.

Sorry, I don't know the specialties. The Montreux market is kind of like an open-air shopping center, with stalls selling things as diverse as silicon kitchen utensils to mobile phone accessories to scarves. There are some stalls selling decorative items too, but only one or two with actual Christmas ornaments. The food stalls sell fondue, racltette, pizza, foie gras, and steak tartare. I haven't seen any wurst stands.

On weekends, there is also a medieval market at Chillon castle, which I plan to visit today.

s

Ornex, France
Level Contributor
179 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas market

Montreux is nice because it's on the lakeside...

Bern is also nice and it's a charming city.

I haven't been to Basel although apparently it's really nice.

North from Basel, you have Freiburg (Germany) and Strassbourg (France) that are really nice too.

Geneva's market is not worth going to.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas market

Montreux Christmas market gets increasingly Christmassy every year. You will find lots of nice ornaments and there is a big yurt with a lovely warm fire in the middle. It's lovely being right by the lake. To make it more festive, you can take the train from Montreux station to the Rochers de Naye. Father Christmas has a grotto up there, but if you think you are a bit too big for that, the journey itself is very scenic and the views from the top are splendid on a clear day. Plus, you'd get to play in the snow a bit.

It's very easy to get to Montreux from Geneva by train. To check timings use www.rail.ch and enter Montreux as your "to" point. If you also fancy going up to the Rochers de Naye, you can use the same website to getting timings.

4. Re: christmas market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 11:17