We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

do I have time to see a bit of GVA before taking the train to Lausanne? Where can I go with luggage and what time does it get dark end of May?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

I don't think there is much to see inGVA, it is a small airport. On the other hand, stopping in Geneva itself for a few hours makes a lot of sense. You can leave your luggage in a locker at the station and walk to the lake. It won't get dark before 8:30-9, depending on the weather. And the trains are frequent enough to not worry about the schedule.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

The historic centre of Geneva is quite nice. The tower of St. Pierre cathedral offers good views of the city. The centre of Geneva is not very large and easily discovered on foot. Trains to Lausanne run until around midnight.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 09:55
canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

Thank you for the suggestions. How long does it take to walk from train station into old town? I guess that means one can walk on the any of the 2 bridges rue du Mont-Blanc or Blvd Georges Favon into town? As an alternative, Is there bus/ tram I can take to go back to the train station and where should I catch it? Or it might just be faster to walk instead of waiting for transit?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

Take the train or a bus - too far to walk.

In the baggage hall at GVA is a machine that will give you a free public transport ticket to Geneva by bus or train. The old town is on the other side of the river to the main station.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

Of course you can walk, it's approx. 1 km (0,6 m) or so. No big deal really ...

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

Yes, it is definitively worth it to pass by Geneva down town. Train from Geneva Airport to Geneva Cornavin (main station) takes 7 minutes several times per hour (details on http://www.sbb.ch/en). Take a free public transport ticket in the luggage hall before passing customs at the airport.

It takes about 15 minutes walking from Cornavin to the Old Town. Go down on rue du Mont-Blanc (in front of the station), cross Pont du Mont-Blanc, and go straight to the Old Town via Place Longemalle (just go in the direction of the Cathedral).

What to see? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188057-c127289/Genev… has the answer.

Luggage: put them in a locker at Geneva Cornavin (CHF 5 to 7 depending on the size). On your way back, should your airline allows it, you could check them in directly at Montreux train station. Details on sbb.ch/en/…check-in-at-the-railstation.html

Train between Geneva and Montreux: two direct trains per hour until 22:30 (indirect -one stop- until 23:20). A bit more than one hour ride. Schedules and prices: http://www.sbb.ch/en. Mobile apps are available: sbb.ch/en/…mobile-apps.html

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

P.S.: I love the tower of St. Pierre cathedral (one of my favourite attraction here in Geneva). But unfortunately it will probably be closed once you'll get there. Don't miss though Place du Bour-de-Four to take a coffee or a drink. If the weather is nice, the atmosphere is great.

8. Re: Landing in GVA at 430pm but staying in Lausanne...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:19