We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chamonix

new jersey
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chamonix

We will be staying a few days in Geneva and already plan a day trip to Annecy.

We were thinking of also doing a day trip to Chamonix and maybe the cog railway to mer de glace.How far from the bus is the cog railway(as we are not the greatest distance walkers)

and if it is too far,is the trip worth it just to visit the town after visiting Annecy a couple of days earlier.

Thank you

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chamonix

You can get a range of options for a day out in Chamonix on a Keytours guide-led excursion. Coach return only or add on any or all of these from the list.Cable car return trip up L'Aiguille du Midi (very close to Mont Blanc and don't go if you have vertigo); very nice bistro lunch in Chamonix; trip on cog railway to Mer du Glace.If you do it all you will be rushed.

You can walk to the railway from the town through the churchyard but do stop if you have time to study some of the memorials.

You can pre-book the trip at the counters of Gare des Routiers (coach station) in Geneva or via your hotel's concierge (48 hrs notice if booking through hotel).The coach departs and returns to Gare des Routiers.It's a long day but a totally fulfilling one.If you check the 5 day weather forecast you can see which would be the best day to travel given that the ascent of the mountain works best in clear conditions.

I did get a vertigo attack crossing the narrow footbridge from the top station to the summit restaurant and that was a first frightening experience of vertigo that never troubled me in years of mountain experiences.But the Keytours guide a Japanese lady was very supportive with helpful advice of how to contain it until my timed descent. I have a lasting memento of that best excursion of my life-an enlarged photoprint taken at the halfway station looking up to the summit of the mountain just as the car approached the dock in clear conditions.I am proud of it and it is on my kitchen wall as I type this.

new jersey
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chamonix

Thank you so much. There are times I have gotten vertigo(much more so in my youth)

but I have found that if I suspect I might get even a mild case from some activites(such as when I am on a cruise) I take a ginger root capsule prior. I find it works wonders and there are no side effects

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chamonix

In the "Top Questions" (top right of this page), there is a "Day trips from Geneva" topic with lots of day trip ideas and details.

Mer de Glace by train is not really attractive per se. What is fun is to go to the top of Aiguille du Midi. But definitively not a good idea for someone suffering from vertigo. In addition both are far from the centre of Chamonix. Given the number of possible day trips from Geneva, you might want to consider other plans...

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chamonix

It will be far cheaper to catch the bus and book tickets for the Aiguille du Midi and Montenvers train yourself. The SAT bus from Geneva stops in three stops in Chamonix; Gare SNCF (3 minute walk to Montevers train station), Chamonix Sud, (3 minute walk to Aiguille du Midi cable car), and Allee Recteur Payot (not useful for your purposes)

sat-montblanc.com/fr/…GVACHX_Ete.pdf

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chamonix

What is the best way to get to Chamonix from Geneva?

Me and my two sisters are planning to go to Chamonix for a day in July. It looks like the buses and/or train routes aren't must cheaper than the alpybus (or the like) plus with one of these vans the time is around 1 hour as opposed to 3 hours plus. However I'm concerned that with these van services you really are left if you don't know how long you want to stay in Chamonix as you have to pre-book your departure time. Any ideas

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chamonix

@mruggir1 Book a one-way with one of the transfer companies and get the bus/train back to Geneva at a time of your choosing. Or just set a late departure time from Chamonix.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chamonix

thanks for the tip!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chamonix

Just be very careful about which van transfer company you use. Alpybus does not get good reviews on TA. Others do. Take a look at chamexpress - they have a good frequent service and are reliable. www.chamexpess.com.

Anyone with any vertigo at all should not even think about going up the aiguille du Midi. The last 2-3 minutes of the ride are vertical, up a rock face. It is very scarey if you have any concern about heights.

If you plan your trip to be on a Saturday there is an excellent market in Chamonix. Both food (on one side of the market squre) and "brocante" or nick nacks on the other. (some junk too!). It is a great deal of fun.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chamonix

Thanks. I was thinking about cham express but I was nervous because I'm not sure how long to spend chamonix and therefore I was unsure about booking the return trip.

Also, do you happen to know when the van transfer companies drop you off is it easy enough to get to the aiguille du midi? I can't seem to find any clear maps from chamonix to the entrance for the cable car.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chamonix

I am not sure. I think they have various drop points. I would suggest e mailing Chamexpress, tell them you are making a day trip and that you want to start at the Aiguille du Midi and ask them if they can drop you there, or near there. The cable car base station is just outside the town of Chamonix about a 10min walk from the centre.