We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingwood, TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

Hello,

I am bringing my daughter to Switzerland in a couple of weeks and we have a bit of a snafu to solve. We are taking the train up from Stresa into Geneva and I wasn't happy with the rate for the Metropole Swissotel so I booked a great room at Hotel Angleterre. Only problem is apparently it is in Lausanne-Ouchy. We will be staying two nights. I need advice please. If there is easy transportation between the train and the Angleterre, I'd prefer that. I also wouldn't be opposed to taking a boat across for a leisurely view upon arrival, but I wouldn't have that luxury to catch our train to Paris on the day of check out. That train leaves at 9:42.

Neither of us has ever visited Switzerland so some of these questions might seem silly, can you help?

Many thanks,

Liz

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

It's Switzerland - there is always a good connection. Ouchy is just a few subway stops from Lausanne station, where you would get off coming from Stresa.

On the morning of your leaving, you need to get up a bit earlier. See www.sbb.ch for schedules.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

And the Angleterre is in a great lakeside situation. It could not be nearer the metro (almost opposite).

Kingwood, TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

Ok, you're making me feel like this might work. We really want raclette and fondue when we visit and I was wondering if there were some good restaurants in Lausane-Ouchy to get these? Also, could you tell me what there is to do in each and which you'd choose for a two night stay? Thanks again for the help!

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

Sounds like you have already booked your TGV, but be aware that there are also TGVs from Lausanne to Paris. But changing trains in Geneva is no problem.

Am not an expert in Lausanne, you can look up the top sights on TA. However, if you want to 'get on the lake' you might make a trip to Yvoire. You could also go to Chillon castle in Montreux (perhaps doing one way by boat, one by train). Vineyard visits in Lavay etc...

Geneva has an attractive old city but it it further to travel from Geneva to the other sights because of its location at the end of the lake.

If you search TA, you will find fondue restaurants in Lausanne with all the reviews that people have given. Better than taking one person's opinion.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

Can't help for Lausanne. But for the fondue, do go to Gruyeres for one day!

la-gruyere.ch/en/Destinations/Gruyeres.html

Frequent trains between Geneva and Lausanne. If you plan to take many trains in Switzerland and if your daughter is under 16, do consider the Junior Travel Card as for CHF 30, your daughter would travel free in the whole country provided she is with you.

sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses…

6. Re: Oops, should I change hotels? Wrong city!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:16