We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

I've got a car (intermediate) booked thru europcar on the French side to collect this week. I've read some poor reviews about Europcar generally and I've since discovered thanks to TripAdvisor that I really need winter tyres and vignette etc for my tri. I also read that europcar aren't upfront about the airport surcharge like other companies. I also can't tell if I can get the winter tyres through them. Generally, I'm feeling a bit nervous about my current rental booking, so I'm looking at other companies.

Reading the fine print of various companies, its confusing around the ldw excess. Some have a standard excess and others charge for everything unless you pay the ldw per day. I've got travel insurance which covers $3500 car rental excess.

From what I can tell hertz has a 2,000 Swiss franc excess on class K compact wagon if I exclude the extra covers. I think this would be OK unless I'm misunderstanding things?

Renting from them on the Swiss side would get me the winter tyres and vignette etc. The price isn't a lot more than europcar and a focus or 308 Eaton would be big enough for us.

Am I on the right track here?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

Hi, I can't tell you much about your dilemma but I can tell you that if your only insurance is $3500 on the car, I once dented the door on an Avis car. The estimate when I turned it in was something like $1000 but it escalated to about $8500 Thankfully, I had full insurance through my credit card and it didn't cost me a dime but...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

If you are renting for 8 weeks then you should consider a lease. I have American friends who come here every year and they lease a Renault car from Renault (France). The car is new when you get it and the lease is tons cheaper on a daily basis than a rental. You could most likely insist that it have winter tyres. You would have to buy your own vignette but the savings would more than offset that.

I will ask my friends to give me a website that I can post so you can see what this involves...

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

http://www.renaulteurodrive.com.au/

www.peugeot-openeurope.com/car-rental-france/

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

I looked into the Renault and Peugeot leasing but they wouldn't provide winter tyres. I had to source and pay for them myself and then return it with the summer tyres on it somehow. They were also more expensive than rentals. The other issue with them was that it had to be booked and paid for many weeks in advance.

My Australian amex doesn't offer rental car insurance. My platinum master Card doesnt either.

My travel insurance is just to cover the deductible/excess for the rental company cdw.

According to my europcar reservation I have cdw and ldw included with an excess of $2300. They don't mention airport surcharge or winter tyre costs. I will run to call them today to find out.

Thanks.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 13:41
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

May have a look at Sixt (sixt.com).

Am happy with them. They offering competitive prices.

Winter tires are key in Switzerland. There is no law stating that you must drive with them. However - and importantly - in case of an accident due to summer tires it can be viewed as gross negligence form your side and the insurer can take regress of up to 25% of the damage.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

Thanks phil. I'll take a look. I will only be in Switzerland to pass through geneva. The rest of the trip is in france and italy and the UK.

I've got snow chains in the rental with europcar if we end up in an Alpine area and get stuck. But the plan would be to avoid driving on snow covered roads wherever possible.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

a good plan. That is the way we try to plan here too... but sometimes it can't be helped!

8. Re: 8 week rental from GVA, Europcar or Hertz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17