We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

geneva passport control

3 posts
Save Topic
geneva passport control

I am flying to Geneva but am travelling to France my passport expires on the 06/05/2014 but I fly on the 15/02/2014.

This would be okay fro French customs but I believe not the Swiss will it be an issue I do have a passport on order but it has not arrived yet .

Does this pose a problem?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: geneva passport control

How can we answer if we don't know what country's passport you have and where you fly from?

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: geneva passport control

Sorry travel from Liverpool and I have an Irish Passport

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: geneva passport control

Liverpool airport

irish passport sorry

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,712 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: geneva passport control

It is true that some countries (USA for one) require a passport to be valid for 6 months after the date of departure from the country. I am not sure about France but since you are an EU national I have to think that even an expired passport would be OK for France and yours is still valid. Switzerland is another issue since we are not EU BUT EU nationals get preferential treatment here - enter CH in the same "lane" at passport control as the Swiss etc. I would call the Swiss Embassy in Dublin if I were you and ask them the question. then you will have a definitive answer from people who know!

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: geneva passport control

According to Swiss Federal Administration website regarding visa requirements, nothing about passport having to be valid beyond departure date for holders of an Irish passport.

See https:/…i.html - for what I understand, a passport or a “valid national identity card“ is required for Irish citizens to enter Switzerland.

Switzerland being a Schengen [agreement] state, I doubt rules entering Switzerland as a visitor are different from entering France. But best is to get an official confirmation.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: geneva passport control

Just to clarify how it works at Geneva coming from Liverpool. You will enter Switzerland - there is no choice to enter France off the Liverpool flight (as there is in Basel for example). Once in Switzerland, you will probably never show your passport again when entering France. So it is the Swiss guidance you need. As Hamabagahle says, ask the Swiss embassy in Dublin.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: geneva passport control

According to Timatic (the database airlines use to allow, or not, passengers to board a flight):

Nationals of Ireland (Rep.) must hold passports and/or passport replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

So you will enter the Schengen area with a valid passport, so no problem.

8. Re: geneva passport control

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 06:20