We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

Hello!

I'll be in Geneva from Thursday evening until Sunday morning and was wondering if anyone had any input as to how much cash I should bring?

Our place is all paid for(we have a kitchen so we are also planning on buying groceries and cooking in to save money), all we'll need to worry about is transportation and food...Do most places accept cards? All the better if so, I can just use that but I just want to get a gauge of what amount of cash to have so I don't exchange too much!! I'm a student so I'll be on a budget in this expensive city :)

Thanks!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

I would suggest you get about 50chf to start you off then use the ATM machine as soon as possible. s how much in total your stay will cost it's almost impossible to say without knowing where you will shop for grcieries etc. Migros or the Coop are best supermarkets, |Migros does not sell alcohol the Coop does.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

The key here is how much your bank will charge you for:

- ATM withdrawals abroad

- Card charges when paying directly with it abroad

- Exchange rates used by the bank

I would go for CHF 100 per person. If you are to eat at your place, you will probably still be keen to go out... A public transport day card will cost you CHF 8 per day (after 9:00am - 10,60 if before), a coffee about CHF 4.50 and a beer from CHF 4 to 10 and more.

Cards are generally accepted but not for small amounts (typically below CHF 20).

Enjoy your stay!

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

Great thank you!

My bank charges for me to take money out in Switzerland(I'm with a Spanish bank account therefore its euros) and they don't charge me for just using the card like a credit/debit card.

So, if I exchange the money at the bank in advance there's no fee. Which is why I'm trying to gauge now, so I can hopefully take enough to cover me, and then use my card at certain stores/restuarants cause as long as I'm using it as a debit card, there's no fee.

I'll do 100 that sounds about right :) I'm thinking we'll eat out once a day and then eat in the rest.

Thank you!!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

For the cheap eating options, have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188057-c65881/Geneva…

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

What is public transport card? I thought Geneva Transport card is free from our hotel.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

Hotels in Geneva are giving free transport cards. But the OP wasn't apparently staying in one of them...

7. Re: how much cash to bring with me for 3 1/2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 06:17