We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel adapters for UK appliances

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
travel adapters for UK appliances

Hi

Could anyone please advise me of what type of adapter is required for electrical appliances. We have the 2 pin European type adapter but I have read conflicting advice as to whether these are compatible or whether we need a 3 pin adapter specifically for Switzerland.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

I find my two pin adapter works in most Swiss sockets, occasionally I find it won't fit/ Many Swiss hotels will lend you an adapter.

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

just back from switzerland, most of the sockets are sunk in, an the 2 pin euro plug adapter wont reach far enough in, only 1 hotel in the 4 we stayed at can you use the euro 2 pin adapter, best to buy a swiss 3 pin one, media mart in switz sell them 9.95CHF, or have a look on e-bay...

as said, some hotels will lend you one, against a deposit / or against your room charge..

rgds ...

Edited: 21 March 2014, 17:08
Wakefield UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

Thanks for the replies. I have found one on Amazon for £3.10 including postage!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

A real 2-pins EuroPlug plug will ALWAYS connect to a Swiss socket, wheather recessed or not!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

They are used for "small" aplliances, which dot not need grounding (usually runs with less than 2.5 or at least less than10 A current), such as mobile phones, cameras etc.

However, appliances with grounding (in order to provide a grounding in cases of malfunctioning by the appliances usually running with more than 10 A current) have a 3-pin plug, of course. I strongly advice not to plug in a 3 pin-plug into a an adapter that does not have a grounding (3 pins) itself!! You intentinally reduce the security of your appliances with this!

In Switzerland they look like these: …admin.ch/files/…Info_SEV1011_de-fr-it-en.pdf

Do not mismatch it with the Schuko ("Schutzkontakt", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko ) which will not even connect to a non-recessed socket in Switzerland, since its pins are too large.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

We have two sorts of plugs here:

10amp two pin, plugs into a flat socket

15amp three pin (grounded) which is hexagonal and plugs into a recessed socket.

Hair dryers etc need the 3 pin. Lights use the 2 pin.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

"A real 2-pins EuroPlug plug will ALWAYS connect to a Swiss socket": NO!

The EU pins are slightly larger than the Swiss ones! So better to have an adapter that can be bought at the airport, down-town or online as SMW20 found out.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

> "A real 2-pins EuroPlug plug will ALWAYS connect to a Swiss socket": NO!

OH YES!

"A type C plug fits perfectly into a type J socket."

worldstandards.eu/electricity/…j

"Type C is probably the single most widely used international plug. This two-wire plug is ungrounded and has two round prongs. It is popularly known as the Europlug which is described in CEE 7/16. The plug has two 4 mm round pins, ..."

worldstandards.eu/electricity/…c

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

marshmellowyou,

This is the THEORY! In PRACTICE, it is not true. I live in Geneva, and use a few French (i.e. EU) electrical appliances and NEED an adaptor.

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

marshmellowyou,

sorry but your wrong ok...

we in the uk use a 3 pin plug like no other in europe, and the standard euro adapter that you fit our plug into will not fit the vast majority of swiis sockets, Hambaghle in # 5 has it spot on, as usual ha ha. there are very few hotels that have the flat socket, most are the hexagonal ones that are recessed, and as i said in # 2, only 1 in 2 of the hotels i stayed in had a flat socket... it dont matter about the type c an type j, if the sockets are recessed the normal adapter we use, the pins wont reach in.....

rgds ..

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travel adapters for UK appliances

Swissdiver, French appliances do not necessarily have Europlugs attached to them!

But every plug that has been designed according the Europlug specifications (CEE 7/16) does connect with Swiss sockets, garanteed! If they pretendingly sold you a plug as a "Europlug" than you have to address the complaint to them. ;-)

And the Europlug is only a plug for small appliances (<2.5A) with only two pins!

They should sell you something like this: …apple.com/fr/…

If they sold you something like this (CEE 7/7): priceminister.com/offer/…

Then you got, either, the French model E (CEE 7/4), or a CEE 7/7 (grounded, 2 pins and one hole, French/German combination): worldstandards.eu/electricity/…

But these are NOT the Europlug!

Edited: 23 March 2014, 11:19