We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva Airport to La Plagne

Scotland
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva Airport to La Plagne

Can anyone help?

We need to travel from Geneva airport to La plagne in February which would be our best options-

Travel by train to Aime?

Hire a car at the airport and drive? Do we need snowchains? Are we allowed to take a hire car from Switzerland to France?

I have heard the french sector of Geneva is closed next winter is that correct?

We are flying with easyjet from Glasgow.

Any advice would be great.

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

For bus you could check out details from Geneva airport departure to La Plagne.

http://www.altibus.com/

As you suggest, train details

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Would suggest the above two in preference to hiring car and driving, as road conditions could be challenging at that time of year..(?snow..ice.. Delays). Snow tyres and any other equipment such as chains would be extra payment . Putting on chains can be a thankless task dependant on which ones you have and where you are, + in what weather at the time.. Different makes are not all the same to put on and instructions that come with them are not always particularly clear.. You need to practice in advance of needing them.

Also cheaper not to drive I imagine. even without drop off and insurance costs for you to consider.There is an obligatory road tax sticker for using Swiss motorway.. (the only realistic way through Geneva county from the airport to access French roads to La Plagne unless you know the area very well, Also quickest.).

If you were thinking of hiring from the french side take into account that you will have to drive around about 2/3 of the periphery of the County of Geneva in addition to distance from St Julien-en-Genevois which in best conditions would take probably an extra ??45 minutes in addition each way. The road itself iI will have to go try it one day soon so I can be more precise about this.

In winter I imagine it is maybe rather exposed to the elements.

If you were planning french motorway there are also toll charges to take into account

For the airport french sector closing I have not heard that as yet, where did you see the info? I see nothing on airport website referring to this in 2007 yet.

Any further information you would have would, however, be appreciated greatly. Please send it on

There is work around airport area for one reason or the other planned to be over 3 year period. This summer and autumn is, if I understand correctly,on motorway maintenance, airport access from motorway and work on Ferney tunnel, and french access area there. also parking areas

From what I read, I believe that these works will be ceased during the winter months restarting after the International Car Show in March. In the meantime diversions or road traffic modifications.. speed.. lanes..will be in place to allow people to cope the best as possible with conditions.

Easyjet flights up until now have landed at the swiss section of the airport. You would then I think after arrival, access the french part at Departure level inside the airport building.. although it is a thing I have never done..

I hope that this is some help, no doubt others more knowledgable will clarify or modify what I say here, as neccessary, both now and nearer the dates of your holiday.

england
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

I flew to Geneva last winter, with a friend and after researching various options we decided a small hire car with the cost split two ways was cheaper than any of the bus services - it cost us £160 for the week, so £80 each, which is £40 each way. Hiring from the French side was a few pounds cheaper but I wouldn't do it again - much more hassle, especially on the return journey. Finding the French side on your return is tricky to say the least, and while you can drop your 'French' car back at the Swiss side there's a fairly hefty extra charge to do so. Better to go from the Swiss side. We tried to hire chains with the car but the hirer had none left - however we drove to Les Menuires in the three valleys, at 1800m, with no trouble. Having a hire car also meant we could stop at a supermarket in Moutiers and stock up on food and drink, at much cheaper prices than shopping 'up the mountain'. If you're staying in self-catering accommodation and planning to cook your own food this could be a significant cost saving. I'm doing the same this year.

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

Yes indeed, Alcester, I can see your option worked better for you under your circumstances, certainly.

You were blessed with good road conditions, despite being less than 100 per cent covered for other foreseeable eventualities.

I also presume due to your tone, that you are used to driving under variably icy conditions on mountain roads.

Only, for others I would advise, still, be careful for your insurances.

I drove to Val Thorens last New Year to join some of my family there for a week.

The ascent was wonderful, the roads completely clear.

Whilst I was there, it snowed the night before I left..It was so beautiful(!), but...the roads were well covered with snow at - 20 degrees.

Although I have already the normal snow tyres in winter.. as a matter of course here for insurance purposes.. looking at the snow-bound road, I went to consult the gendarmerie as to the state of the route and equipment necessary to descend.

I was told very firmly by the gendarmerie, that for them, one could only leave the resort with chains under the conditions.

Hence, I stand by my former post.

You can be lucky and have wonderful conditions, after all this often is the case.

I say only, as I would to a dear friend..think this all over, in all of the eventualities..

Try to cover yourself for any of the ‘less than best’ eventualities..

Certainly, if one has not chains provided and all goes well.. no problem...

However, if an accident occurs (not necessarily by your fault...) and you do not have them, under circumstances that may otherwise dictate the contrary, it will be decided any accident is your fault....

What can one say...

Also I indeed do say again.

Practice to put the snow chains on before you need them.

If you ever need them ‘pronto’ sometime you will understand, you will understand my somewhat tiresome insistance here.

I wish you certainly, bon voyage and bonnes vacances..

Leeds
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

Hi Yasmin25,

Having regulary flown into Geneva for ski trips over the past 10+ years, I can strongly recommend pre-booking a minibus / taxi transfer. It is not the cheapest option but it is the most convenient and hassle-free way. To give you an idea on cost, we are flying (8 people) to Geneva next March and have booked a return transfer to Courchevel @ £53 per person. The transfer companies are equipped for every eventuality in terms of weather and also will wait for you - even when flights are delayed. They all seem to be around the same cost, although you would need to check. I regularly have used the AlpineCabCo who have always been prompt and friendly - even stopping for a beer stop en-route!

Scotland
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

I am still looking for a transfer, I have found some transfer companies who are reasonable but are already booked. I have looked at the train but none of the times fit in with our flights. Most private transfers want over £500.00 for a transfer for 2 adults and 2 children. Hiring a car would be much cheaper and Avis supply chains and snow tyres. The weather however concerns me. On one of the bus timetables it states that there are no ski buses from the french sector due to roadworks which would make me think that it would be better to hire a car from the Swiss side. Has anyone any ideas? Tried to find Alpinecabco with no success. Does anyone know where the bus drops you off in La Plagne? We are staying in La Plagne Soleil?

Leeds
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

Hi Yasmin25,

The address for Alpine Cab Company is www.alpinecab.com. As mentioned before, they have always been prompt and friendly and know the local roads. Do remember to take into account insurances / fuel / tolls etc when working out hire car costs, as well as car parking costs in the resort. Last time I drove to Courchevel, it cost around £45 to park for the week - compulsory!

Good luck!

7. Re: Geneva Airport to La Plagne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 01:20