We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
233 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Hello all. I will be visiting Geneva with my family for just a couple of days in August. As I look for restaurants and get recommendations from friends, I noticed that several of them are on Boulevard Carl-Vogt. This looks like a very long street on the map.

Can someone who knows Geneva tell me what sort of street this is? Is it an attractive leafy boulevard like you'd find in Paris, or more like a noisy, dense avenue with no charm? (Hope I haven't offended anyone). We're thinking of eating at Le Comptoir Canaille at 46 Carl-Vogt; gets very good reviews).

Thank you very much. This sort of information is hard to get from Google maps. If anyone has a recommendation for a restaurant with great food and a lake view or lakefront, that would also be appreciated.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Hi, if you go to Google maps and put Boulevard Carl Vogt, Geneva in the map block, then click on street view in that same block, you will see that it appears to be a city street and not a wide, tree lined street. I can't help you with good restaurants with lake views but I'm sure others will soon.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 22:49
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Hi, I live on Bvd Carl Vogt and it's not a big avenue like the ones in Paris, rather a street with the university on one end and the area Jonction on the other. Towards the university it has many bars and cafes and in the middle it's a rather attractive area to live with Galeries etc. But again, don't think Paris, but rather a small town European street that tends to be a bit longer :-) Let me know if there is anything else you'd need help with :)

Geneva is a small city by the way, and I'd say you don't need more than one day. I don't know what the purpose of your stay is, but I'd try to see the mountains when in Switzerland (Bernese Oberland etc is stunning). For coffee I'd recommend Cafe Boreal on Rue du Stand rather than many of the Starbuck coffees. For food, demi lune in the old town is reasonably priced for Geneva (eating out easily amounts to CHF 80-100 for 2 people).

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Caro M has summed it up perfectly. Blvd Carl Vogt is a normal city street. Not a wide boulevard with views but reasonably central to about anything you might want to do in Geneva - and reasonably quiet too. Certainly a "safe" neighbourhood.

le Comptoir Canaille is a "bistrot" type restaurant. Personally I would much prefer the Café de l'Hôtel de Ville in the old town. Roughly same sort of menu but in a really, really lovely setting. You could combine a meal here with some really interesting sightseeing. Or perhaps one of the small restaurants on the Place du Bourg du Four close by? I would go with the Café de l'Hôtel de Ville though - I have had many meals there and never once a complaint!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Café de l'Hôtel de Ville will close definitively later this year. As a result they are milking the clients these days. So you'd better avoid it. On Bd Carl-Vogt, I like http://www.lacantine.ch/ at any time of the day. That said, I don't know the Comptoir Canaille.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

stay away from the area around the train station at night

this is my only sincere advise .

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Like most the the train station areas in large cities... That said, it is rather far from Boulevard Carl-Vogt.

washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
233 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Thank you all for your comments. We are actually staying at Hotel Les Armures in Old Town, so now I'm thinking we should probably eat near there. Any other suggestions on moderately priced restaurants in Old Town? (Swiss, French, or Italian preferred).

Thank you!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

The Cafe de l'Hotel de Ville is lovely and not expensive for Geneva. Les Armures is an excellent hotel. You will also find a lot of cafés etc on and around the Place du Bourg du Four.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

As written before, the Café de l'Hotel de Ville WAS lovely. But since the city (as owner) decided not to renew his lease, it seems the team just wants to maximise the profits. A disgrace, even for regular clients as I used to be. And it is not less expensive than the followings:

The restaurant of les Armures is meanwhile excellent, notably for Swiss cheese based meals.

Close to your hotel, there is an excellent tiny and charming Italian restaurant: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188057-d1…

Nearby is also an old Cafe offering notably tartar steaks: http://www.cafedubourgdefour.ch/

Finally be aware than moderately priced in Geneva means about USD 150 for two without wine.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,733 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly question about streets/neighborhoods in Geneva

Oh oh! Swissdiver -I had not seen a previous post of yours mentioning this about the Cafe de l'hotel de ville. I shall now stop recommending it AND shan't be going there again till you tell me it OK to do so. What a shame!