We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Hi,

We are visiting Switzerland (Interlaken area) for 6 days.I have booked Paris-Geneva TGV so we will arrive in Geneva at around 10.30 pm.

Before continuing our journey to Interlaken the next day by Golden Pass route, I want to stop at Montreux to see the Chillon castle.

I am confused as to where should we book our overnight stay considering the time that we are reaching.

Also hotels in both Geneva and Montreux seems to be very expensive.Are there any budget options close to the train station?

Thanks,

Nupur

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Have you tried Vevey for the night halt ? It's close to Montreux and cheaper and a nice place to be in, right besides the lake.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Hi Rajiv_Phantom,

I am currently checking deals in Geneva/Montreux/Vevey/Lausanne.

Any idea , if we choose Montreux, is there any public transportation available at midnight to reach the hotel from the main train station?

Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,169 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Arriving at 2230 in Geneva it will make it very very late indeed to get to Vevey the same evening. I suggest you stay in Geneva and head for Montreux next morning. Trains run every 30 mins from platform 4 for Montreux. Journey is an hour.

Look at the Manotel chain - they have some OK 3 star hotels near the station. www.manotel.ch Please note that the red light district of Geneva - the Paquis - is also near the station. You may see some strange things going on. And also be a little careful about your belongings, especially that late at night. Once you get to your hotel you can relax!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Agree, the easiest is to spend your first night in Geneva. Under "Top questions about Geneva" at the top right of this page, there is a "Booking a room in Geneva" section under which you should find the info you need. In general though, hotels in the area are expensive, unfortunately. The two hostels are however cheaper and close to Geneva main train station (the one you'll be arriving at and departing from).

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

Thanks Hambagahle and Swissdver.

I will look for options in Geneva too.

6. Re: Overnight Stay in Geneva or Montreux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:15