We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva Prices

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva Prices

What are prices like in Geneva i.e. large beer, meal out etc and how do they compare to Germany or UK? Many thanks

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva Prices

Much more expensive. Budget for about double UK prices for something comparable in the UK and you won't go far wrong.

st paul MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva Prices

We spent $6 (US) for a beer in London and he is saying it is double in Geneva?? WOW

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva Prices

Worldvoyager, I've known you to be slightly more reasonable. Is this the effect of the crazy late November overly-warm weather.. :) it should be snowing by now.

Minky35, prices are higher in Geneva, unquestionnably. But one can get easily get away on a lower travel budget.

A pint of local lagger in a standard Swiss "bistro" of "café" will be in the CHF 5 to CHF 6 (£2.15 to £2.6). Beer prices will climb up in the English/Irish pubs with a max of CHF 9 (£3.9) for a pint of English bitter or a Guinness. And then the prices will go through the roof in some of the local nightclubs (avoid them..).

Like any international city, Geneva offers everything you want to eat at variable prices. As a French speaking region, we share many in common with France, and that most definitely includes good food and good wine. So if you go for an acclaimed and rewarded starred restaurant, you will pay the price. You would too in London or Paris.

But you can get away in all of the Italians for CHF 25 to CHF 30 (£11 +) and in some locals. Count £15-20 and + for international cuisine. Even local food specialties will be in the CHF 40-50 all included if not less. A typical dish of perch filets (filets de perches) should be around CHF 33-35 + wine + coffee. A standard cheese fondue should be around CHF 23-28 + wine and extras.

On Saturday evening, I went for a 5 course pig/pork menu (trotter, head, sausage...) in a good typical village restaurant out of Geneva. The menu was CHF 40 (£17.5) and the food was excellent. 2 starters and 3 main courses for that price is excellent value even in the UK or in Germany.

For lunch, there are a good number of cafeterias/food courts where one can eat at a very reasonable price; but a standard lunch "dish" (plat du jour) varies from CHF 16 to CHF 20. My plat du jour just around the corner today will be at CHF 16. I'm starting to get hungry just by writing about it.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva Prices

We have been regular visitors to Switzerland for more than 20 years. At the time of our early visits I would agree that prices were about double those of the UK but I honestly don't think there is much difference between costs in Geneva and London now. Of course, it does depend on precisely where you go. Our next door neighbour is Swiss and he thinks that central London is more expensive than Basle where he comes from.

st paul MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva Prices

when you say chf, that is french right? i thought all of Europe now was Euro??

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva Prices

The currency in Switzerland is the Swiss Franc !

http://www.xe.net/ucc/

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,368 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geneva Prices

Switzerland is not a member of the EU.

st paul MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geneva Prices

thanks for the info! Have a good night

9. Re: Geneva Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 21:18