We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited time..mountain excursion

Kentucky
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Limited time..mountain excursion

Girls whirlwind trip in May to France, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. From Salzburg we are going to Zurich on May 30 for flight home on May 31. Our train to Zurich should arrive around 1:20 p.m. Hotel is just a few minutes from train station, so checking in should be completed by around 2 p.m. We would love to go down to Lucerne and go up on one of the mountains in the area ... primarily for panoramic view of Lucerne and the lake. BUT...I am not sure if we will have enough time given our arrival time into Zurich. Would welcome thoughts and suggestions if this is possible and which mountain would be best taking into account time constraints. Thanks so much.

Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

What is it with you Americans and these whirlwind yours of Europe! It takes me longer to explore Manhattan!!!!!!!!! That said get the regional tourist brochures from Lucerne before you leave the USA see the timetables on the Web etc. Otherwise chill out and enjoy Zurich for a day and night. It is a lovely City.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

Well Joe, I can't speak for other Americans and their whirlwind tours, but speaking for myself and my friends...it is not an inexpensive trip and we don't assume we will ever be able to return; therefore, we want to have an opportunity to visit/see specific areas that we've always wanted to see and that did include lucerne for one of us. Everyone is different regarding travel preferences. There's nothing wrong with spending an entire vacation in one place. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with spending a short amount of time in several areas. And, I'm chilled. I thought since this was a Lucerne forum, it would be appropriate to solicit assistance regarding if our idea was feasible and which mountain to select. My mistake.

Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

I wasn't being insulting and I have had the pleasure of travelling the length and breadth of your great country but the point is it's like me posting I'm arriving in

JFK 1pm what can I see before I leave at 9pm? Sometimes it's better just to slow down and savour what's in front of you.

Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

p.s. Unless your 95 years old if you

make sacrifices in other areas of expenditure I'm sure you will return to parts of the World you love.

Regards

new england
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

DFRB....If your friend wants to see Lucerne it's definitely doable but I think I would personally opt for s steamer ride on the lake and a visit to the old town rather than a mountain excursion, which time wise would put you back in Zurich after 9pm, best case scenario, would be fairly time consuming and give you lttle to no time in Lucerne itself. Here's a thought....rather than check into your hotel, when you get to Zurich HB deposit your luggage in a luggage locker (there are all sizes) and aim for the 2:04 (14:04) train which takes 45 minutes and is a direct train to Lucerne. Practically opposite the train station are the steamer boats for Lucerne... book a short trip on one of these boats (many options for short trips) and enjoy the beauty of Lake Lucerne. Afterwards, walk around the old town and visit both the famous bridges, visit the famous lion monument and look inside the Jesuit Church that is right on the river,,,spectacular!. If you want a great view of Lucerne, look for the Chateau Gutsch which is a palacial looking building that sits high above Lucerne...head for it and there will be signs along the way but you literally can't miss it. Walk or take the funicular up and enjoy a prosecco on the terrace...it's a great view! You can see the city, lake and the old city walls...it's just lovely. Afterwards, wander a bit in the old town, enjoy a meal at one of the cafes by the river and watch the swans. Catch a train back to Zurich at your leisure (they leave about every half hour, most are direct, take about 45-50 minutes) pick your bags back up and head for your hotel. This way your friend gets to see Lucerne, you still get a nice view of the city & lake from Chateau Gutsch, and it's quite a relaxing few hours....just a thought.. Have a fun trip.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

You have got 2 peaks nearby, the closest being Pilatus, in order to save time take a taxi to the gondola station at Kriens. You can return via cog-wheel train down to Alpnachstad and then either train or boat back to Lucerne or come back the same way on the gondola to Kriens. http://www.pilatus.ch/default-sE.html

The other is Stanserhorn and you get there by train to Stans and then it's a 100 metres walk to the funicular station. The views are nicest from here.

www.stanserhorn.ch/m171_m06/cms/EnHome.asp

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

Try Mt Rigi.

If you consider Zurich HB station, then there is a train which leaves at 14:09, and there is one change in between and you get to Mt Rigi in 1 hour 38 minutes. The last connection on this route is at 15:09 from Zurich HB.

The last connection on way back from Mt Rigi to Zurich HB is at 17:04.

However, I advise you to confirm the train timings for your date of travel at www.sbb.ch and Mt Rigi operating timings at www.rigi.ch

Let me know if that helps

Kentucky
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

Thank you - had not thought of the luggage lockers or steamer.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

If you really want to see Lucerne why not just stay the night in Lucerne instead of Zurich? It's only about a 50 minute train ride between the 2 cities. Hop on the train in Lucerne and go all the way to the Zurich Airport. If you don't want to see Zurich then don't waste time on checking in/out of a hotel there.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,932 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Limited time..mountain excursion

You can certainly do what tmynatt suggests but I would argue that the old town in Zürich is far nicer and certainly much more extensive than that of Luzern, and the lake of Zürich is very nice too!!

And I do echo Joedevlin's sentiments that "whirlwind" trips are really not the best thing - there was a wonderful film once called "If it's Tuesday, it's belgium" which is worth seeing if you can run it down before you finalise your plans!! You risk seeing only the surface of what you pass by and then forgetting or confusing what you have seen once you get back!

Slow down - and for sure you will come back one day. After all once you have tasted what Europe has to offer you won't be happy with anything less!!