We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Mt Titlis on the 16 May 2014. I was wondering whether I could do it in half a day? I would take the first cable car to Titlis at 8:30 am, stay up there for about 2 hours, and take the cable car down at about 12pm. I would try to catch the train for Lucerne, and then Milan, at 1:01 pm. I know is be very rushing but is it doable?

Really appreciate your help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,268 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

You posted this today and 16 May was 10 days AGO! I hope you mean 16 June!!

I suggest that you might want to re-think the idea of staying up there for two hours. Stay for an hour and then go down and be sure you get to Luzern in advance of your train to Milan. and don't go up there at all unless the weather is clear. If the mountain is swathed in clouds your view will be - the inside of a cloud. And if you have been on a plane you know what that is like!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

Ops my bad, you're right, it is actually 16 June.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

The trains from Engelberg to Lucerne runs every hour on about the hour. You need to check your journey is possible on the timetable at www.sbb.ch also it is about a 10 minute walk from the bottom of the lifts to the station.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,268 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

Engelberg to Luzern leave Engelberg at 01 past... And the SBB does give the connection via Luzern and Lugano for this particular ride to Milan. However I would be more prudent since it involves an international connection which one doesn't really want to miss. But if getting to Milano later is not a problem then the 1401 train out of Engelberg will do just as well if not better since the last bit is not on a regional train.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

noted that. tq

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

I wouldn't mind reaching Milan a bit later. Based on your advise, guess it would be wise catch 2pm train to Luzern. thanks a lot Hambagahle.

By the way, I saw in the youtube that people are wearing just tshirts on top of Titlis? What's you advise?

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

I would like to know the typical weather of mt. titlis in August, is it too late to book the tour a day before departure to ensure good weather? also if i only stay in zurich for 2 days, does it make sense to buy the half fare pass and get the titlis discount as opposed to by the ticket in full ? Thanks.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,268 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

August is summer. And it can be hot and sunny or rainy and cold. we never know till the week before or even the day before. Going anywhere in the mountains when the weather is not good is not a great idea which is why all the DEs on TA say - don't make firm plans for a mountain excursion until the day or so beforehand. If there are clouds down to 2000m or lower you will be in them and have a view that is similar to looking out of a plane window when the plane is in the clouds. ie - none! for which you will have paid a lot!

With only 2 days here a Half Fare Card is probably not worth it unless you plan to spend all your time on the trains.

9. Re: Mount Titlis in 1/2 day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:15