We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help in choices of restaurants

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need help in choices of restaurants

Dear friends,

we've only two nights in Lucerne (Sunday and Monday) and would like to dine well for the 2 dinner and average for a lunch. After researching the forum came up with a list but would not decide which to make reservations. your help is greatly appreciated to help us to decide the 3 restaurants for our meal, thanks. other recommendations outside of the list will also be helpful.

Wilden Mann Stube in Romantik Hotel

Restaurant Balance in Hotel des Balances

Old Swiss House

Restaurant Red in KKL

Opus

btw not too keen on Italian, cheers.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

Dear friends,

one other question: do the restaurants usually serve a different set menu for lunch ie a more economical meal?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
838 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

When we were there in 2007, we had our last meal in Switzerland at the "Restaurant Fritschi" in Luzern.

Absolutely delicious Swiss food. Old wood carvings on the walls. The carved table we ate at was dated something like 1650.

Can thoroughly recommend it.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

Hi CitiesTraveller,

I've eaten at two of your chosen restaurants --

I stayed at the Hotel des Balances, so it was quite convenient for me to eat at the restaurant there. I kept trying to get out and sample other restaurants, but I kept going back to that one. The dishes were fabulous!! And the selection was really wonderful. Every time I ate there, I wanted to try about five things so had to keep coming back to try more --

I did make it to the Old Swiss House, mainly because I kept hearing how it was a must-do. Well, I wouldn't think so! The food was good, don't get me wrong, but nothing spectacular. The food was typically Swiss, and that must be the attraction, I guess. If you spend most of your holiday eating at cafes or Italian restaurants, etc, this would be your chance to get those typically Swiss dishes. It's the kind of food I've eaten all the time, usually in/around Zürich.

I've also heard great things about the Wilden Mann Stube.

Good luck!

s

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

I can second the recommendation for des Balances, particulaly if you can get a table right on the river.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

thanks guys for your recommendations. will make reservation for Restaurant Balance since it is only next door from our hotel. am leaning towards Restaurant Red for the other night since food and decor may be slightly different from the others. for lunch we may try the Chinese Restaurant Li-Tai-Pe? any comment on Restaurant Red and Li-Tai-Pe? thanks again for the great help, cheers.

Boston...
Level Contributor
159 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

Hi there:

Not sure if this is too late for you but I've been away. I'm living in Luzern and have not tried Restaurant Red. However, Balance is outstanding. You won't be disappointed. I actually really like the Old Swiss House if you get the Wiener Schnitzel which they cook at your table. It's an amazing meal and a beautiful old Swiss building.

Opus has fabulous wines but mediocre food. I would stop there for a glass of wine before dinner somewhere - maybe Balance - it's right across the river.

One suggestion I have for lunch that is not on your list is the Hotel Rebstock. I go there about once every other week and never get tired of it. The veal strips (veal zurich style) is amazing. And it comes with roesti.

Another dinner idea is Brasserie Bodu which is excellent traditional French food. The steak with herb butter and french fries is outstanding.

You will want to make reservations I believe at Bodu and probably Swiss House just an fyi.

HAve a great time!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

Hi leotrvlr, no it's not too late. will definitely go to Restaurant Balance and will consider your recommendations for lunch; most likely will not make reservation for lunch and see how things go when we reached there. thanks for the help, cheers.

8. Re: Need help in choices of restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 23:17