We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in Lucerne

South Africa
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting around in Lucerne

We are two elderly ladies who can do very little walking, but are nevertheless planning a music trip attending altogether 13 concerts in Lucerne, Zurich and Hohenems in May2010. We will not be able to drive a car. I gather from reviews there is a bus stop in front of the Balm hotel, Meggen, Lucerne. Would we be able to get to the KKL (next to the Hauptbahnhof) quite easily from there?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in Lucerne

Hi

I've just checked the Swiss Rail webbsite www.sbb.ch/en and found that there is a regular bus service from Meggen, the stop listed was Meggen Kreuz to Lucerne station. Busses run roughly every 30 minutes and the journey time is 26 minutes. You may find the Swiss Rail website helpful for any of your trips.

South Africa
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in Lucerne

Thank you so much, Swisslover! I have checked and it seems there are frequent busses even on a Sunday. I am reading your other posts as well as we have not been to Switzerland before. Will have one concert-less day in Lucerne for which I still have to plan some pleasant sightseeing which will not involve much walking or standing around. No more museuming for us!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around in Lucerne

Try a boat trip, you could go all the way to Fluelen, it's a three hour trip, the boats have refreshment facilities on board and conveniences. If you do that i would recommenr you pay the surcharge for 1st class, it's little less crowded. If you did that you can return by train, most trains are direct to Lucerne, or if not direct it's a cross platform change at Arth-Goldau. How about a trip up Rigi or Pilatus, there is no need to walk far. Rigi can be a round trip, boat to Vitznau and then train to the top, there's a restaurant there, and then train back to Arth Goldau and train to Lucerne. Or shorter boat trips.

There really are so many things you could do you will be spoilt for choice. If you'd like more ideas just come back and ask.

South Africa
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around in Lucerne

Thank you again Swisslover, I'm investigating your welcome info.

5. Re: Getting around in Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 05:16