We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Aldie, Virginia
5 posts
Save Topic
Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Hi all,

I have two questions:

1. Where can I purchase the "Swiss Half Fare ticket" can it be purchased at the Zurich Airport?

2. I will be taking a train from Luzern, Bahnhof to Geneva Airport as my flight to paris is at 10 in the morning. First train from Luzern, Bahnhof leaves at 4:56 and stops in Olten and then gets us at the Geneva Airport at 8:25.

We are fine with taking the early train, however, the train will stop in Olten at platform 8 at 5:52 and leave for Geneva Airport from platform 11 at 6:03. This gives us only 11 minutes to change the platform and board the train. I personally don't think it will be enough time for us new tourists even considering that we don't have much luggage but just a carry-on each. What is your experienced travelers suggestion? Next train leaves to Geneva Airport leaves at 6:40 and will get us to the airport at 9:00 AM.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

It should be plenty of time but I can see it'd be a little worrying as it's cutting it fine at Geneva.

Are you then flying elsewhere from Paris on a connecting flight? The reason i ask is it might be easier if you're just visiting Paris to get the TGV train from Basle to Paris. It takes 3 hours plus just over an hour from Lucerne.

Another possibility might be to go to an airport hotel the night before and then no worries the next morning.

To answer your first question last you can buy a half fare card at Zurich Airport Station.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Hi Omnipresent101

1. Yes, you can buy it at the railway station Zurich Airport.

2. 11 minutes will be enough to change plattform. If you feel unsafe ask the ticket controller where exactly you will have to pass. But don't worry, you will have time if you can walk in a normal speed.

Have a safe trip

pore

Aldie, Virginia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Thank you guys. That helps a lot.

One more thing, once I buy the ticket to geneva airport from luzern, Bahnhof then I won't have to buy any ticket from Olten right? Just wanted to make sure that my 11 minutes will be just to get from platform 8 to 11 and not waist time in buying ticket.

There are so many unknowns while travelling but I'm excited for the trip starting tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Aldie, Virginia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Marmot12,

we have already booked flight with EasyJet from Geneva Airport straight to Paris Orly Airport. I would have liked the train option you suggested but I think it is bit too late for us now.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

<once I buy the ticket to geneva airport from luzern, Bahnhof then I won't have to buy any ticket from Olten right?>

Correct, your ticket will be valid for the whole journey - even if you miss your connection at Olten and have to get the next one, the ticket will still be valid.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,925 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Olten is a relatively small station. AND there are ramps and stairs from the platforms down to the "tunnel" that connects all the platforms. 11 minutes is a LONG time here in Switzerland to change trains. Normally we have around 5 mins.

When you are on the train from Luzern and the conductor comes around to check your ticket, ask him or her which platform your Geneva train leaves from and how to get there. It could not be easier... and will take you about 3 minutes, not 11! So no reason to worry. Further, usually when you get off the train an announcement is being made on which platform to go to.

I wll not be at all difficult. And with EasyJet you really need to be at the GVa airport 2 hours ahead for the checkin as there are usually long queues.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Just to be cautious - the half fare ticket requires that you purchase a half fare card. The card can be purchased at any rail station for 110 francs and then all the travel from there on is half fare. If you don't have the card, youhave to pay the full fare. Depending on how you are entering Switzerland and where you are traveling while there, there are several possible options for you. What is your itinerary?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,925 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

And again re the Half Fare card - you must produce it without being asked when you show your ticket to the conductor AND have an ID on you that proves you are the person on the card...

You wll se 1/2 on ticket machines etc next to fares. This is for the half Fare card. AND it applies also to town and post buses, lake boats etc etc

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

Suggest you compare the cost of the train from Lucerne to Paris with the costs to Geneva and think about forgetting the Easyjet flight. Taking the 06.54 from Lucerne will have you in the centre of Paris at 11.37.

The problem is that you are going a long way in the wrong direction to get to Geneva.

Lucerne to GVA appears to be CHF78 normal fare and looking several weeks ahead I can see tickets from Lucerne to Paris for CHF125

10. Re: Suggestion for a train change in a short time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:40