We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

I'm looking at the cog train schedule and have a question.

I would love to take the hike that I've seen mentioned on this forum from Rigi-klum down to Rigi- Kaltbad, but there is no way I could get my husband on a gondola so I'd prefer to pick up the cog train again back down to Vitznau. Is this possible?

I see a stop on the cog rail called Kaltbad First, is this the same as Rigi-Kaltbad?

Thanks

The current cog train shutdown does not affect us.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
256 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Dear luv-to-travel,

From the map at their web site it looks like Rigi Kaltbad.

http://www.rigi.ch/en/region_maps.cfm

I went to "maps" at this web site and read the names of the stations on the Vitznau line.

Hope this helps.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,354 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Hi luv-to-travel-NH

Except during the construction time the cogwheel train down to Vitznau from Rigi-Kaltbad will work.

There is a big cable car (no gondolas) from Rigi-Kaltbad down to Weggis.

The stations you mentioned in your post are

- Rigi-Kulm (the top station)

- Rigi-First (between the two)

- Rigi-Kaltbad

Have fun

pore

Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Rigi First is on the Arth Goldau leg of the cogwheel, Rigi Kaltbad is on the Vitznau route, important to note that there are two completely different routes that converge at Rigi Stafel just before you reach the top at Rigi Kulm, easy way to remember is red trains for Vitznau route, blue trains for Arth Goldau route.

Depending on your mobility I would recommend extending the walk down to Romiti through the meadows, it is very pleasant.

Have a great time.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

First (error) of of all (comments): there is no "Rigi First", especially no train stop.

Second wrong comment: There is no stop called "Rigi First" between Rigi Kaltbad and Rigi Kulm. There are two stops, and going upwards, there are the stops "Staffelhöhe" and "Staffel", where the trains from Vitznau (red) and Arth-Goldau (blue) meet for their common last leg to Rigi Kulm.

Third wrong comment: There is even no "Rigi First" stop on the blue line, though there is a stop called "Wolfertschen-First", just one below Staffel on the blue line down to Arth-Goldau.

and finally: There is indeed a spot called "First". But this is on the ridge of a mountain crest between the peaks Rotstock and Schild. You can easily reach First, either from the stop Rigi Kaltbad, or from the stop Wolfertschen-First, but by foot (!).

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

and BTW:

From August 20th to September 28th, the red line (Vitznau to Rigi Kulm) will NOT work between the stops Romiti (lowest), Rigi Kaltbad, and Staffelhöhe (highest) because of construction work (cannot be done in winter because of eventual snow)!!!

However, train service from Vitznau up to Romiti (one stop below Rigi Kaltbad) and between Staffelhöhe (one stop above Rigi Kaltbad) and Rigi Kulm will be working.

You can easily walk between Rigi Kaltbad and Staffelhöhe, even with strollers.

Check the adjusted time table for this time period here: http://www.rigi.ch/files/?id=47658

Edited: 17 August 2012, 11:44
Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Hi Martin, maybe it's just easier to post the link to the map on the official site.

http://www.rigi.ch/en/pop_map_rigi.cfm

Maybe calling the stop "Rigi first" on the map is misleading if, when you get there, it isn't actually called Rigi First at the stop....point taken. But perhaps we should just ignore "Rigi First" or "Wolfertschen-first" as it is not relevant to the original posters question once clear that it does not feature on the route down to Rigi Kaltbad/Romiti etc.

Edit, also worth reading that the OP will not be affected by the current works!

Edited: 17 August 2012, 11:51
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

<Edit, also worth reading that the OP will not be affected by the current works!>

Correct, but everybody else who reads this and does not know about it ,-))

BTW: the map link was already given by fedex.

And as I said: there is a spot called "First", and perhaps the OP read about it somewhere else as a proposal to go there and have a meal, or just as a short walk from Kaltbad (to) First ... what could be the reason why the title of this post is called "Rigi Kaltbad vs KALTBAD FIRST" ;-))

Edited: 17 August 2012, 12:14
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Thanks to all for posting, perhaps I didn't do a good job phrasing my question as there are responses that seem to be unrelated. My fault I'm sure.

I've seen several posts where people talk about hiking from Rigi-Klum down to RIGI KALTBAD.

The Vitznau to Rigi-Klum train schedule shows a stop called KALTBAD FIRST.

My question was, in this context, is Rigi Kaltbad the same thing as Kaltsbad First.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

I see. Only a slight difference:

"Rigi Kaltbad" is considered to be the mountan station of the cable car from Weggis, while "Rigi Kaltbad-First" is considered to be the stop of the cog rail. The distance between the two spots is about 100m.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rigi Kaltbad vs kaltbad first

Thanks Martin P, that's what I wanted to know. Close enough to walk and take the cog back down if we want.

Thanks again