We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Pilatus

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
797 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Pilatus

We will be in Lucerne at the beginning of July. Before Lucerne, we will be in Wengen, where we will go to Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. Should we be going to Mt Pilatus or will the other 2 mountains be sufficient? Also when is the earliest to get to Pilatus and what time do the stores close in Lucerne?

Thank you.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Pilatus

I prefer Rigi www.rigi.ch to Pilatus www.pilatus.ch The round trip involves a train to Arth Goldau, railway up to Rigi and then descend by railway to Vitznau and take the boat back to Lucerne. Of course the route can be done the other way round. Doing it that way I would take a train from Arth Goldau to Zug which has a lovely old town and then train back to Lucerne.

Another possibility in the area is the Stanserhorn www.stanserhorn.ch that had a new cable car last year. I have not done that yet.

I also enjoyed Klewenalp last year www.klewenalp.ch boat to Beckenried then cable car up and down. There was a lovely flower walk there and it was not at all crowded.

If due to the weather your Jungfrau or Schilthorn trip don't come off you could go to Engelberg by train (47 minutes) and then up Titlis www.titlis.ch

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Pilatus

Hi angeleyes27

Jungfraujoch is a great Glacier Experience as is Mt. Titlis - www.titlis.ch -. Titlis is different from Jungfraujoch. I would anyway recommend other excursions at the Lucerne area - see Top Questions about Lucerne (right side of your actual screen part 6).

Also the roundtrip you can find on this post - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g198804-i2876-k376… - is great especialy if you like to walk a bit (pritty easy).

I agree with Marmot12 and prefer Mt. Rigi and Stanserhorn over Mt. Pilatus. Everybody sees it differently.

Have a great time

pore

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Pilatus

If you have done the Jungfrau and the Schilthorn, you might want to do some actual walking on a summit path to further enjoy the alpine experience. Mt. Rigi offers you lots of walking trails with over 300+ alpine peaks to look at while you walk through the green meadows. The Lucerne trip advisor activities and attractions sections provide you with more first-hand information to help you decide. Enjoy!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,565 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Pilatus

Depends on what you are looking for from a mountain excursion. IF it is snow and ice then having gone to the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn you cannot expect the same kind of experience from a low mountain like Rigi or Pilatus, especially in summer If it is views, then the views are different from each mountain top. jungfraujoch you have a magnificient view on the start of the Aletschglacier, the longest glacier in Europe (23km now). From the Schilthorn you are very high up, have a superb view over to the Jungfrau massif and it is, altogether dramatic. Rigi and Pilatus are much much lower. Have nice views over the Vierwaldstättersee (lake of Luzern) and the surrounding countryside. And in summer give you a chance for nice hiking. Think green meadows instead of snow and ice!!

Look at the links Pore provided as they are very useful.

I personally would take advantage of my time in Luzern to visit that town. The old town is nice, compact and pretty. There are two really good museums - the Transport Museum is outstanding and the little Rosengart museum (art) has a good collection. And then the lake .. a cruise on the lake is lovely. Not to be missed!! This area is the "cradle of Switzerland" where, in 1291 (so we are told!) the original alliance that created the country was formed. If you want to understand anything about our county - start there!!

5. Re: Mt Pilatus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:15