We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe trip sep 2013

mumbai
Level Contributor
92 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Europe trip sep 2013

Hi, We're 3adults+3seniors(minor mobility issues/wheelchair)+1infant(18m) traveling to europe for a vacation around mid sept. We're looking for advice/tips suggestions on our itinerary below:

1) Amsterdam 3N

2) Paris 3N

3) Chamonix 2N

4) Interlaken 5 N

5) Lucerne 2N

Our priorities are to see the main sights, not really keen on museums etc. Prefer access to vegetarian/indian restaurants. Apart from that we are open to ideas on where to stay, best way to search for apartments where possible else hotels, Must see sights and experiences in each destination.

Any help is welcome

Thanks, regards

Anyplacebuthere

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

It's best not to post your request 2x on different forums within Switzerland. It gets confusing.

Some thoughts:

- top sights are given in TA. Look up the city, and you with see the list of sights ranked by visitors

- Interlaken gets bad reviews as a place to stay, yet it has the longest period of your itinerary. What is the objective?

- Chamonix is quite out of your way. What is your objective there - especially with the restricted mobility of your party?

- Apartments for short periods are easier in France and Amsterdam than Switzerland. For France and Amsterdam, use Expedia etc. and maybe google 'vacation apartment rental Paris'. You will get some agencies that don't appear on Expedia. I have used one in each of Paris and Amsterdam but wouldn't specifically recommend.

- In Switzerland, search engine/consolidators are less well used. Look at specific accomodation (from TA) or use the tourist office websites for each town

- Vegetarian food is available in Europe in almost every restaurant. Dairy free is less widespread. Again TA has reviews by type of restaurant, including specific vegetarian and Indian restaurants.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 09:58
mumbai
Level Contributor
92 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Hi, thank you so much for your inputs. Let me clarify some of the issues raised above:

1) Interlaken because its the hub in Bernese Oberland, good connectivity and plenty of veg/Indian restaurants. Day trips from here are easy to do. Could you recommend some of the best day trips from interlaken? I would certainly be doing Jungfraujoch, what about the other places? Was thinking of doing one to a car free alpine village like Wengen/Murren another to Schilthorn? How about Trummelbach falls? Reichenbach falls?

2) Chamonix because it not really out of the way, Paris to interlaken is too long a journey and will take up most of the day, in keeping with the alpine theme, I though it might be worth heading to geneva airport from paris (3h30m)+1h25m shuttle to chamonix. Depending on the weather would like to take in Auiguille du Midi+montenverse train+mer du glace

3) Am looking for some specific reccos for trusted websites which can be used to book apartments/rentals rather than hotels in paris and amsterdam. Any you could suggest? Airbnb?

Also whats the best day trip out of lucerne? RIGI / PILATUS/ TITLIS? I'm thinking I would get to see snow on both aiguille du midi and Jungfraujoch - yes SNOW IS IMPORTANT :) so may be I could skip Titlis and do one of RIGI or pilatus and take in all the various modes of transport, lakes, mountain views etc. What do you suggest?

Once again Many thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Please use TA to get the consolidated experiences of other travellers via the reviews. Why take one person's experience of an apartment rental when you can type 'apartment rental paris' into TA and get agencies with many detailed reviews? Same applies to attractions. They are all reviewed on the site. If you need specific advice, people are always ready to help on the Forum with those. But it's a poor way to plan 2 weeks of activities!

Canada
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

You are trying to do far too much in 2 weeks. Just the opinion from a seasoned traveller. Perhaps France/Switzerland only; Travelling is hard on seniors with mobility issues and the less you need to move accommodations, the more you will enjoy the experience. Take time to smell the flowers!

As JT told you, do some research starting with the questions down the right side of this forum.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

It's very hard to judge mobility issues. However, I have taken a relative who could not walk far on cable cars in the high alps. It's a big deal. The air is thinner - it take time to adjust. You have to climb steps - dramatic alpine scenery cannot be fully wheelchair adapted. So you need to research each visit in light of your needs (there are websites in English for every place you have spoken of). The Aiguille du Midi - for example - is a stunning stunning location. But I know fit 20 somethings who were terrified by it!

canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Just a reminder, many hotels and apartments in Amsterdam, Paris have lifts smaller than a wheelchair, besides a walk up before one can reach the lift. In the other places, especially the chalet style apartments, don't expect any lift, just stairs.

Going to Mt Rigi via Weggis, it incurs walk, bus, and steps to reach the cable car.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,716 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

For Lucerne Information also look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum). A great mountain excursion with wheel chair would be Stanserhorn. When you come out of the cable car you will be on a large terrace with great views. I would not recommend Mt. Pilatus with a wheel chair. Mt. Rigi offers great views from the hotel terrace which you can reach by elevator. The top with the view over half of Switzerland is not accessible by wheel chair.

A great walk with the wheel chair or without it is along lake Lucerne to the traffic museum - verkehrshaus.ch - next to the Lido (bathing in the lake). Also most of the old town is easy by wheel chair (but not the medieval city wall).

I know that many experts do not like Interlaken at all. I agree that the mountain villages are nicer but there are sometimes reasons to stay at Interlaken which has it's advantages (as you say, the many restaurants) it is flat.

Have a great time

pore

mumbai
Level Contributor
92 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Thank you folks for the wonderful suggestions, really set my mind at ease about quite a few things. Really appreciate the advice thanks

9. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Lucerne
Recent Conversations