We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Lucerne

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two days in Lucerne

We are spending two days (Sept. 13-14) in Lucerne before leaving for Basel to catch a Rhine River cruise. Can you recommend the best way to see the main sights, I.e., walking tour, guided city tour, bus tour? Are there boat tours to see the city and surrounding area from the lake?

We plan to spend part or all of one day going to either Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis or Mt. Rigi. Which of these would you recommend and how much time would you allocate?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Lucerne

The town centre is very compact, so walking is the best option.

There are numerous boat options - see http://www.lakelucerne.ch/

These range from short one-hour round trips to much longer cruises that go the full length of the lake.

You could combine a boat trip with either Pilatus or Rigi. Personally I think the views from the Rigi are better - the top station of the Pilatus railway is surrounded by higher ground, so you have to do some uphill walking to get to the best viewpoints.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 15:30
Canada
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Lucerne

I am doing much the same trip. From what I have read a self- guided walking tour of the old town area takes about 2 hrs (not including any stops in museums etc.

Here is a sample from frommers frommers.com/destinations/…0162010008.html

Pilatus has a golden round trip that takes you up by cable car/gondola and down by the cog wheel train (or reverse), You can then take a boat back to Lucerne or a train (which is handy if you want to stop at the glass blowing factory. Check at the Pilatus web site for more info/prices/times. How long depends on you really.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Lucerne

Thanks Neuch for the helpful information.

4. Re: Two days in Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:32
Get answers to your questions about Lucerne
Recent Conversations