We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

Hello Friends

Iam travelling to switzerland with my wife and an infant child , i will be in Lucerne on 11th July evening & coming back on 16th july afternoon from Zurich

My places of interest are

Jungfrau

Mt Titlis

Mt.Rigi

A scenic route for 2-3 hours

Rhine falls

I need your help in knowing where all i should be staying & how should i plan my itinerary in a manner that iam able to cover everything above & it does not get too hectic & difficult with an infant

Also would like to know which swiss pass will suit me considering my places of interest & duration of stay

What I have thought is

Day 1 -Lucerne overnight

Day 2 -Titlis -Lucerne overnight

Day 3-Jungfrau -Lucerne Overnight

Day 4 Rigi & Transfer to Zurich from Lucerne

Day 5 Rhine falls & scenic route & back to Zurich

Day 6 -Depart

Your help will be highly appreciated & if there are any more recommendations since you now know my plan I will welcome .

Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

I will only comment on Day Three, Lucerne to Interlaken is a two hour train journey, Interlaken to Juungfraujoch is another two hours so no I would not do this trip from Lucerne, that does not even take into account the possible changes in the weather, If you really want to to the Jungfraujoch journey, which is not recommended for under two year old children, see the Jungfraubahn website, then you need to stay n the Jungfrau/Interlaken region, with no guarantee as to the weather conditions.

You also ask about the Swiss Pass, the only way of working this out is to do the maths, use the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en and remember the site defaults to the half fare.

Overall I would think you are are trying to do a lot in the time you have especiallyy as you have an infant with you.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

Yes, agree with Swisslover...it is a very Long day from Lucerne to the top of Jungfrau and then return to Lucerne.

You might consider

3 days Lucern

2 days Bernese Oberland area. There are many lower walks in the area that you might consider and that carrying a baby or using a stroller might be fine with. But before you come, I would consult with your pediatrician about altitudes.

f the weather is nice, you might consider staying in Lauterbrunnen, or Wengen. Lauterbrunnen is a beautiful valley with a wonderful waterfalls. http://mylauterbrunnen.com/

There is a limited number of hotels in Lauterbrunnen, but it my choice because of location! Besides being beautiful, it is between two other destinations and therefore, offers flexibility to get to destinations. My second choice would be Wengen.

There are many lovely walks you can do from Lauterbrunnen. The Valley itself is rather flat. So walking in this area with a child is no problem at all.

You could take the cable car up to Wengen. Then take the gondola from Wengen up to Mannlichen. There is an easy walk on a path descending down to Kleine Scheidegg. Great Views.

From Lauterbrunnen take the cable car up to Grütschalp.

There you have the option of taking a train which runs parallel to the cliff or you can actually walk this section which is approximately 2.5 miles. This too is a relatively easy walk. When you arrive in Murren, enjoy the wonderful views. Sit on one of the terraces at the hotels have some refreshments and soak in the beauty.. If you decide to take the train from Grütschalp to Murren it only takes a few minutes. The walk through town in a short one, because the town is small. Then continue on to The Schilthorn Cable Car. From there you can descend to the Valley, and then take the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. Another option, or, for another day, would be to take the lift up to Schilthorn...wonderful views on a clear day. But I wouid advise against this unless you and your wife intend to make separate trips up or get a baby sitter. Make sure you don't buy tickets for the lifts in advance since if the weather is bad you won't see anything. I prefer The Schilthorn to Jungfrau.

Another alternative would be to stay in Lucern on day three and consider alternative trip such as Hammetschwand .See

myswitzerland.com/en-us/buergenstock-hammets…

Whatever you decide have a great trip in a beautiful country!

Have a great trip!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

Hi Swiss lover & Marb

Thanks for t he guidance

Can you explain what this means '' remember the site defaults to the half fare''

Also let me know if swiss pass will entitle me for 50% fare for tickets to Jungrau & Tittlis if i decide to go

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

Also let me know is it sensible tu buy the pass when in Sitzerland or should be purchased in advance over the internet

Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

In answer to your post about the Swiss Rail website defaulting to half fare. When you first see the fares on the website that is the half price fare,you need to either do a dummy booking, ie book a ticket, you can use any name and other information you like, to get the full fare. I would check the cost of passes in yourown currency over the internet and then check the cost of buying on arrival. The Swiss Pass will give you a 50% reduction for Titlis and a 25% reduction for Jungfraujoch from Wengen and Grindelwald, up to these points travel is free.

6. Re: Help in planning itenarary for switzerland requested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16