We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

louisville
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

We will be in staying in Lucerne for 3 and half days. We already booked our hotels and everything but after searching online I came across Lauterbrunnen and it looks sooooo beautiful! I am wondering if we can make a day trip to Lauterbrunnen and then come back to our hotel in lucerne by night. Is it even possible? if yes, how can we make this trip?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,414 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

Hi TajPal

Technically it would well be possible to do so. You Need to know, that the trip to Lauterbrunnen takes a lot of time - see www.sbb.ch/en and Input from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen and if you would like to use the scenic Bruenig line via Bruenig-Hasliberg -.

There are so many great excursions you can do from Lucerne - see Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne Forum) - that I would stay in the area.

pore

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

As rightly pointed out by Pore, you can visit Lauterbrunnen from Lucerne in a day. But, then what do you achieve. You are so close to Junfrau and Schillthorn and yet won't be able to see them. More than half the day will be spent in your to and fro journey. Better, look for sites near Lucerne.

Lauterbrunnen can be covered when you are visiting the Bernese Oberland area.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

Sorry I'm going disagree with the previous posters. |If you want to spend about three hours each way on a train from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen then yes! It is possible for a day trip, you could take a beautiful walk along the valley floor towards Stechelberg and the bottom station for the cable car to the Schilthorn and see the Stubbach waterfall and near the cable car station there is another longer waterfall, sorry the name escapes me. The walk takes two hours at the most. Or take the local post bus to the cable car station and walk back. Another possibility is to take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen then you can see the Schilthorn. whether you want to sit on a train for this length of time is your choice.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

I think everyone is trying to present you with the best information. It is a long trip on the train for one day-even though there is some beautiful scenery on the train as well. There is so much to see in the Lucerne area that is why folks are encouraging to remain in that region.

It is your trip, however, and if you want to do this, by all means do! Like every excusion, this is a site best done in nice weather!! If its rainy and foggy out then you won't get a sense of the beauty of the mountains surrounding you in Lauterbrunnen.

If you take a very early train, I would also encourage you, since you are coming all that way, to take the cable car up to Grutschalp and then the train to Murren. This can be done from the Lauterbrunnen station. Walk through Murren, have lunch there. Then continue on through this very small town to the Schilthorn cable car, and descend to the Lauterbrunnen Valley You can walk the entire length of the valley within an hour. then grab a train back to Interlaken and change for Lucerne.

louisville
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

We might do it if we run out of things to do in lucerne. For this purpose I don't want to prebook our tickets now. will it be possible to buy train tickets for Lauterbrunnen once we are in lucerne? Are they sold at the train station there? When we are going to Lauterbrunnen, which way is most scenic?

Thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

There's no requirement of pre-booking any of the rail tickets. If you have Swiss rail pass, then buying tickets is not an issue. If you don't , then you can buy tickets from wherever you intend to board the rail. It's very easy and convenient. And yes, Lucerne station has quite a few counters. manned by helpful staff. You will need to change trains in Interlaken Ost for proceeding to Lauterbrunnen.

7. Re: Day trip to Lauterbrunnen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:16