We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

My girlfriend and I (mid 30's, good health) will be embarking on a whirlwind last minute trip to Europe with the following itinerary. Neither of us have ever been to Europe and would appreciate your feedback and thoughts on what to do, eat, and see. Paris and Lucerne are a must...we land in Paris and depart from Zurich.

Aug 31: Arrive in Paris at 6:55am.

Sept 2: Train to Lucerne

Sept 3-4: Lucerne for work

Sept 5: Golden Tour Lucerne and then depart to Milan or Venice?

Sept 6-7: Milan or Venice, night train to Zurich?

Sept 8: Fly home from Zurich. Plane departing at 10:10am.

We both enjoy sightseeing, eating, and shopping. We didn't plan on adding Milan or Venice or a third country but just found out that everything is closed on Sundays in Switzerland and want to take full advantage of our time.

Your feedback is appreciated!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,137 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

Hang on a minute! Not everything is closed on Sundays here and in Italy shops are closed on Sundays aside from grocery shops on Sunday mornings (even not all of those are open!)

Museums will be open. Trains in Switzerland run on normal schedules on Sundays. Lifts in the mountain resorts will run as well. Lake cruises go on as usual. there is plenty to do here on Sundays EXCEPT shop. Many restaurants, especially in towns and places frequented by tourists, are also open.

Furthermore there are no night trains between Italy and Switzerland. Haven't been for years, ever since the high speed trains came into service in Italy. In your place with such a short time on hand I would stay in Switzerland and after your time in Luzern head for either the Bernese Oberland OR Zermatt and experience the mountains. ("Golden round trip" up Pilatus will take you to a mountain which is 2000m or so high. Mountains in the Oberland and particularly around Zermatt are over 4000m!) OR if you really want to experience "Italian" life - go to our Italian speaking canton, the Ticino. A couple of nights in Lugano would be fun and then you can take a train for the Zürich airport which will get you there in about 4 hours. Personally though in your place I would want to see the High Alps!

For trains etc - www.sbb.ch/en

For Luzern - www.luzern.com

For the Oberland/Jungfrau region - www.myjungfrau.com

For Zermatt - www.zermatt.ch

and for general info about our country - www.myswitzerland.com

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

Hi SoCali

Yes, Switzerland is full of activities every day of the year. Even some shopping is possible in larger cities such as Lucerne. There are shops open at the railway stations. And of course most restaurants are open (we would not like to die hungry here).

I would even NOT share my time but stay in one area only and do day excursions from there. If you would choose Lucerne (which is a great choice) look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (upper right side of your screen) and do some excursions from there.

The golden roundtrip over Mt. Pilatus (if this is what you wanted to do) will not be available up from September 1st. The gondolas to Fraekmuendegg will be working but the cable car from there to the Top will be under construction until spring 2015. I would recommend one of the great roundtrips over Mt. Rigi. For more details and other mountain excursion look at the Top Questions about Lucerne. The height of a mountain is not the main criteria, it is the views a mountain offers. Mt. Rigi (also called the queen of the mountains) offers great views.

As you need to be at Lucerne for work, I would definitively not recommend to travel to Zermatt or where ever. Your free time is to short.

Happy planning

pore

Canada
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

As an experienced traveller, I would not even attempt Paris and Lucerne in a week. Go straight to Switzerland and experience in depth ,one country! Thinking about adding Italy is insane.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

Thank you everyone for the tips. Based on your advice, we are sticking to Paris and Lucerne. We are slightly disappointed that we won't be able to do the Golden Tour but I'm sure we will have plenty of other things to do. :-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,137 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

Go to Rigi - this is more than a wonderful substitute for the "Golden Tour" - which is a marketing device anyway!!

6. Re: Paris to Lucerne to ??? in early September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Lucerne
Recent Conversations