We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one weekend

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
one weekend

Hi to all the wonderful DE's who have helped me in the past.

My hero and I will be back in Switzerland for one weekend in Sept. We have travelled pretty extensively through Switzerland and will just be catching up with our daughter who lives in Lausanne.

She has met us in Zurich, Luzern and Lauterbrunnen in the past, so where can we spend a weekend (not a city) that isn't too far for her to travel after work on a Friday night?

Is Neuchatel a 'pretty' place? We haven't been to this area.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Oh perhaps I should mention that from there we are off to Italy.

Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one weekend

Hi ozziewanderer,

I personally wasn't all that impressed with Neuchatel. Well, it is a lovely French-style city and has a small little harbor. But the lake wasn't that remarkable to me (I'm so used to Lake Geneva, which is lined with cafes and shops and benches and flowers), and there are only low-ish hills in the area. One thing I loved about Neuchatel is the museum of the La Tene civilization, the Latenium

www.latenium.ch

What kind of a place are you thinking about? If you'd like to stay in a city, I could suggest Bern. If you'd like to stay in a larger town, also on a lake, I could suggest Thun.

Or, in about 90 minutes you could be in Gstaad (closer, and on the same train line are Chateau d'Oex or Rougemont). These are mountain villages like Lauterbrunnen but with a French flair. The nearby mountains are lower than in the Jungfrau area, but not as low as those around Neuchatel. You could spend time cycling or walking the gorgeous valley, or visiting Gruyeres (cheese-making demonstration, castle, preserved medieval village) and Bulle and Broc (chocolate factory).

More information at

www.gruyeres.ch

www.gstaad.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one weekend

HI Swandav,

You have helped me on many occasions so thank you.

We have spent some time in Bern and at first glance it is a lot like Sydney!

Our daughter has fully absorbed herself in Switzerland and I think she has probably done the Gstaad area, although I will ask her. My hero and I haven't been to this region. I think we may have had an O/N in Thun some time ago but will also check this out.

Thanks so much.

Gaye

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one weekend

I agree with Swandav that the lake of Geneva is more attractive than the lake of Neuchatel. And the town of Neuchatel is nice, but not outstanding. You say that you don't want to stay in a city. Here are some recommendations for smaller places with great scenery:

1. Lac du Joux: This part of Switzerland is not very well known, but the landscape is great - pine tree forests, green lawns, hilly but not really mountainous, and the lake is beautiful and unspoiled. Your daughter could travel from Lausanne via Col du Marchairuz (small mountain pass) if she has a car - the views and the landscape up there are especially attractive. You could stay in Le Pont which offers the best infrastructure along the lake and visit from there for instance the underground gorge of Vallorbe or the medieval tiny town of Romainmotiers.

2. Montreux: It's pretty close to Lausanne and your daughter might have been there before. But it's a very popular tourist place with beautiful views across the lake of Geneva, the Chateau de Chillon close by (one of the most remarkable castles of Switzerland), sourrounded by vineyards and mountains.

3. Mountain villages in Valais: Would be already on your way to Italy. There are numerous places to choose from, they vary from world famous Zermatt to tiny and unspoiled villages like Evolène. All of them share the beauty of mountain landscape. The larger ones have a good infrastructure with lots of restaurants, entertainmend and cable cars. Choose a smaller place if you prefer the tranquility and if you like to hike.

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one weekend

Thanks oller,

We will investigate Lac du Joux.

Yes we have spent some time in Montreux as it is close to Lausanne.

Zermatt was one of my thoughts as we have stayed there before and I wanted her to see it. But it is too far for her for the weekend....she already does a lot of travel for business and we are not sure if she will even be in Switzerland the same days as us!

So we will try somewhere that is close for her and new for us. :)

If I really had my choice we would spend the weekend in Lauterbrunnen (one of my 5 most favourite places in the world), as I am always singing it's praises on TA. But again it is a 4 hour train trip for her. :(

Thank you both.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one weekend

There would be mountain villages in Valais closer to Lausanne than Zermatt: For instance Leysin (1 hour by public transportation) or Verbier (1.5 hours).

Reply to: one weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted