We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Switzerland

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Switzerland

Wondering if anyone can help?

My partner & I went to Prague last xmas & totally fell in love, wanting to keep those memories as they are for now we really wanted to experience this christmas in Switzerland. Unfortunately we have no idea where!

For us ideally it needs to include all the delights of a traditional xmas, markets, lights, decorations, snow, restaurants, bars. However we are not skiers (if thats how you spell it!) although definately willing to have a try but my personal dream is to have a go at tobogganing & sledging. We would also prefer to stay in something more traditional to the area & our budget would be around £100 per night per room.

Not sure if we or Im expecting too much but any advice would so much appreciated.

Many thanks

Lorraine..:)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,582 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Switzerland

Hi Lorraine and welcome to the Switzerland forum...

How long are you planning to stay? It is important because Christmas is HIGH season in all the ski resorts and normally the hoteliers require at least a week's stay and sometimes two weeks. That said, this year with the strong franc there may be some flexibility.

The Christmas markets end on 24th December all happen in the towns and cities on the plain. Not in the mountain resorts. So if you want both you are looking at a split stay. The following places have lovely Christmas markets: Basel, Bern, Montreux. But there are markets almost everywhere in the towns. As far as decorations go, the german part really outshines the French part in this regard. Bern is a particularly beautiful town at all times and its Christmas decorations are lovely.

For a mountainr resort consider one of the very lovely car free villages - Wengen and Mürren in the Oberland, zermatt in the Valais.

Take a look at www.myswitzerland.com and you will get all sorts of ideas. Then once you have decided on where you want to stay, look at that particular places' website... most are simply the name of the place with the extension ".ch". The Jungfrau area (Wengen and Mürren) are a bit different - look at www.myjungfrau.com

southern UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Switzerland

The exchange rate for Swiss francs is not good. You might be best off booking half board as a meal out will cost more than twice UK prices.

We spent Christmas in Seefeld (Austria) one year and that had plenty to do for non-skiers - including all the things you mention. I think we paid about £800 each through Crystal (including all food, flights and transfers).

You will need to take very warm and waterproof clothing, and boots with a good grip.

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Switzerland

I spent Christmas and the New Year in Switzerland many years ago. Christmas is a family celebration and staying in a hotel is somewhat quiet, in comparison to the New Year. Interlaken would be a good place to stay, because it is so easy to get to other places on the rail network. You would also be away from the skiing fraternity which push prices up, but also be close enough (45 minutes ) to enjoy whatever you decide to try.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Switzerland

Thank you so much for your quick responses!

We were looking at it more as a short break 4 nights going out on xmas eve like we did last year to Prague.

Seeing the exchange rate not particularly great does mean for us we would be tied to a hotel which may not suit us as John says these can be rather quiet. I will investigate further with all your tips! Tallin is also on my list of Wonderlands so I may pop by there when I visit google.

Thank you once again!

:)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,582 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Switzerland

4 nights including Christmas Eve is going to be very hard to find in the mountains, And as pointed out above, Christmas and New Year in the towns tends to be very quiet. Christmas especially is a family event. Most restaurants except those in hotels will close in the towns for at least the weekend and maybe longer as in some places 26th is also a holiday.

In the mountains all will be go go go! Up there everything is open even on Christmas Day. Including supermarkets, all the shops and restaurants etc etc.

6. Re: Christmas in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:17