We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel availability in late June-early July

Glenside...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel availability in late June-early July

Hi:

In late June or early July 2012, I would like to tour the Swiss Alps on my bicycle, staying in hotels each night. I'll be going solo. I don't want to be tied down to a rigid schedule because I can't predict my mileage--I like riding in mountains but it is no fun in bad weather. If I arrive in a typical alpine village in the late afternoon, am I likely to find most hotels have rooms to spare, or will they all be filled to capacity?

MGT

Leysin, Switzerland
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel availability in late June-early July

Hard to say, I would expect you'd be just fine in most places. It's in-season enough that places won't be closed but not so high they'd be full (excepting some special local event of course).

If it were me, I'd try and book each morning. I'd probably call up the local tourist office and ask them to find somewhere and call me back. Obviously you'll need a phone for that to work.

Is that road bike or MTB?

Glenside...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel availability in late June-early July

Thanks for your reply. I'll be on a road bike. I've ridden in the Italian and French Alps before and had no problem finding vacancies, but this was in September, after the end of the European school holidays.

I've got a phone with an international sim card but don't speak German or French so calling can be difficult (although most hoteliers, even in the smallest places, can speak some English). Calling the tourist offices rather than the hotels directly is a good idea.

Thanks again.

MGT

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel availability in late June-early July

I would think your best option would be to not make any reservations. You will pass plenty of 'zimmer frei ' green signs indicating accommodation available; and most of them will make it clear whether the rooms are single our double, by the number of beds displayed.

Oh to be young !!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel availability in late June-early July

Aye, John1944Wales!

MichaelT, you should be fine. Just plan your routing so that you aren't forced to stay a particular place and could go on to the next village if necessay. The likelihood of there being no vacancy is pretty low. Check on

www.myswitzerland.com

for local festivals etc. so you know where to avoid on any given day. There are links there to most Swiss towns and villages. If you have a route in mind, you might post here and locals can give you advice about a nice place to stay as well as any times when the village might be booked.

Hope this helps.

5. Re: Hotel availability in late June-early July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:22