We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just want to make sure that I have this right

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Topic
Just want to make sure that I have this right

As you know by now, I want to do one day trip to Shilthorn/Murren/Trummelbach Falls or Stubbach Falls and another to Jungfraujoch. I just need to make sure that I understand how this works.

When going to Jungfraujoch, I catch a train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, drop off my bags, and then take the train to the Jungfraujoch via Kleine Schleidegg. There are 2 trains an hour from there to Jungfrau. I am confused because I read that there are several stops on Jungfrau and I am not sure what the difference is and which one I should get off at. Then to go back, I go to Kleine Schleidegg and back to Wengen. Is that right?

To go to Schilthorn, I get the train to Lauterbrunnen, then go to Murren from which I get the train to Schilthorn. Then coming back to Murren and Lauterbrunnen, I can catch a bus to go to the falls. After that, I can get a train back to Wengen. To get from Wengen to Interlaken, I always have to change trains in Lauterbrunnen. Do I need advance reservations for any of these trains? I think if I get a Swiss Pass, I get a certain amount off of the Jungfraujoch excursion. Let me know if I have it all straight. I think I understand about the Ballenberg trip. Now I am trying to get this straight. Thank you.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

Hi angeleyes27

Yes, this is one way to go up to Jungfraujoch. I would leave my luggage at a Interlaken railway station. The train stops on the way to Jungfraujoch and you can see out of the windows in the rock (you leave the train and hopp on the same train after the stop). The destination is the final station.

On your way back from Kleine Scheidegg you can also take the cogwheel train down to Grindelwald railway station and by train from there to Interlaken Ost. This makes a very nice roundtrip.

For Schilthorn on www.sbb.ch/en input from Interlaken Ost to Schilthorn and you will get all the information you need.

With a Swiss Pass you get a 25 % discount on the Jungfrau railway (with the half fare card you would get 50 %).

Have fun and do not worry, it's easy

pore

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

Thank you for confirming this for me. We are staying in Wengen so we will leave our bags there.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

Sounds like you've got it right. Don't worry, it will all make perfect sense while you're there.

If you have a Swiss pass travel from Interlaken to Wengen (via Lauterbrunnen) is free, as is the cable car and train from Lauterbrunnen to Murren. Bus from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach falls is also free. You get the 25% discount on the jungfraujoch ticket from Wengen to the top as advised by Pore. Nearly all other alpine railways are a 50% discount as well.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

Do I get a regular Swiss Pass or a Regional Pass? Thank you. If I am taking a train from Innsbruck to Interlaken, is that covered by the Swiss Pass as well?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

You will need to do the maths if you would like to know which railpass is the most economical one for you.

Swiss Pass is valuable from the Swiss Border to Interlaken. You will need a ticket from Innsbruck to the Swiss Border.

pore

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

Does that mean that I have to change trains at the Swiss border in order to use the pass? Can I set up reservations with the pass? If I am going in July, how early can I set up reservations and when in the schedule in place? Thank you.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just want to make sure that I have this right

>Does that mean that I have to change trains at the Swiss border in order to use the pass?

No. Get the train staff to do it.

>Can I set up reservations with the pass?

What reservations? None necessary, and often not possible, within Switzerland.

>when in the schedule in place?

Now. Started 9 December 2012.